LegacyGT.com

Effect of ACC on vent?

This is not a rant on the climate control -- just a question about how best to set it when parked.

The manual for my late, lamented Ford Explorer explicitly stated not to leave its climate control engaged when the car was parked and turned off. The reasons were two: The car would then have to start with the AC clutch engaged (and boy, you would hear it chatter when you cranked up), and this setting also closed the heater's vent door to the outside, preventing the car from "breathing" in hot or humid weather.

I don't see this type of info in the OBXT manual.

So, if I leave the Subie's ACC on when I park and then start the car, does the car start with the AC clutch engaged? (Or is the system smart enough to have disengaged it?) Does leaving the ACC on when I park shut the vent door and not let the system "breath?" (Does it matter?) Do I need to turn the ACC off, and then hit the mode switch for flow-through when I park the car?

Advice appreciated.

<sigh> The vent on my old 360 was so much easier: reach under the dash, lever up the big 2-foot-wide vent hatch that lifted DIRECTLY into the outside air in front of the windshield, and watch all the dust rise from the floor in a 50 mph whirlwind...

Archived