LegacyGT.com

My First AUTOCROSS is coming up!!! Any helpful tips are welcome!

Well at least you had fun :). That stinks everyone is running on R-Comps in DS since it makes a huge difference, both in performance and wallet size.

and just a heads up...STU does not allow you to alter your max boost, so you would need a STU specific map (or just the stock map)

There needs to be some more LGT guys at the next event! Saturday, May 8th (The day before Mother's Day) Check out http://www.cincyscca.org for the season schedule. The was another ABP Legacy there spectating this past weekend at Turfway Park event. Anybody here?

and just a heads up...STU does not allow you to alter your max boost, so you would need a STU specific map (or just the stock map)

I guess I'll just have to run STX ;-)

Usually I'm the only Legacy driver at autocrosses. It is not a good car for autocrossing due to its size and weight. I rode along in some smaller car and they can do things the big Legacy can't.

I drove the Legacy in 2 autocrosses stock with the all season tires. Wow, those tires are loud and slide around. Then I changed things with light wheels, wider summer tires and bigger sway bars. On the same long sweeper turn, I gained speed from a max of 44 mph to 55.

True Leggies are a little portly, they will never truly compete with the S 2000's and Miata's but they can hold their own when the courses are setup a little more drawn out . My club runs a very tight go cart track once in awhile and all the longer wheelbase cars struggle a bit. Met a guy at the local Costco yesterday who parked next to me (he has an 06 Spec B) I invited him to the next x cross. There's only a handfull of 4th gen Leggies down here.

What I seem to notice is that within a class, (D Stock let's say) each car has its disadvantages that equal the playing field. This past weekend was a good example. The MS3's were understeering like pigs trying to make the front wheels do two jobs. The 330i (who won the class) is about the same size as the legacy, only 150 lbs lighter. The Cobalt SS was a VERY experienced driver and ran near-perfect runs every time. As you can see, being my first event I haven't come to the conclusion that the Legacy is a BAD AutoX car, it just needs a BIG FAT SWAYBAR and STICKY MEATS to be competitive with similarly setup cars.

I've been in 11 autocrosses at 3 locations. I raced the Legacy stock in 2, with sways and wider summer tires in 6 and with lower Swift springs, adjustable dampers/ Whiteline bushings in the last 2. (I did one autocross in a BMW 335). My Legacy is much better and faster than stock, but I'm still getting beat by S2000, and supercharged Miatas on race tires. It is just too long and heavy to do what those car can do.

To make myself happier, I just compare the car to other heavier or longer 4 door cars. In the last autocross, I beat all the V8 mustangs and camaros, a v8 Cadillac CTS, a BMW M5 and a 335. It is funny beacuse the Legacy is so quiet with no wheel spin or smoky burnouts.

I run my 05 leggy gt wagon next door in Indiana... I have a stage 1 tune, and just recently put on Perrin 25 mm front and rear sways w/kart boy endlinks... The sway bars helped a lot with my top heaviness... Tire wise: I was running spec.b 18's, but now I am back to the OEM 17's, and am enjoying them more than the 18's.... More torque, but a bit squirrel'ier..

I run in SMS with all the sti's and wrx's... I am never last and never first, but I have fun.. hehe I even beat one or two of the wrx's each time... I beat a Roush Track Packaged 427 Mustang, and ZO6 couple of weeks ago.. In their defense, they weren't meant for a smaller track like we get in autox, but i digress.. hehe I saved 40+k and still beat em...

I have been told that a new rule this year states that if you've ever changed your tune, you cant run in DS.. Here's the rule "No changes are permitted to electronic engine management systems or their programming." People say you can switch back to stock for events, but I am sure someone could rules lawyer you and say that you swapped it back for the race and that is unacceptable.. Pleh, only people who will probably protest are the guys you are beating, and those guys will prolly only show up at national events.

You seem to know you can't modify your rear sway bar and stay in DS.

ms3's are pretty comparable to us.. i generally beat the one that shows up at our meets, but recently he has done quite a few mods and is about 1 sec faster... I need more seat time, and better tires(he has all that)...

I been looking for 17x8.5 or 17x9 rims and dunlop star specs to improve my traction.. Having a hard time getting those rims... the killer is either weight, or the offset we need...

Just have fun... Don't be afraid to ask questions. Take lots of notes, and get as much seat time as you can!

If I can do it in a fat butt wagon, you can do it better in your sedan! Did i mention I am able to beat WRX's?!? hehe

Making my first suspension upgrade next week... Whiteline 22mm adjustable front swaybar. I might be installing a used set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires instead of destroying my Nexens. REM870 gave me these tires for FREE. :-) Anyone know of a good local shop that will R&R and balance for cheap?

GrouchiGrumbles: You should be wiping the asphalt with STI's and WRX's running those Spec.B wheels. They are worth an extra 20hp apiece you know...

If anyone is interested, pics are up from the event taken by a professional photographer.

http://www.jlofoto.net/#/gallery/2010apr18-scca-solo-ii/

My favorite pic:

http://www.jlofoto.net/#/gallery/2010apr18-scca-solo-ii/20100418-1060/

Anyone know how to get these pics off the website and photoshop out the watermark??? He wants $9 each for Low Definition electronic copies...

• 2 weeks later...
38 psi in the front ended up causing me to scrub about 3/4" of sidewall on the Nexen's. I NEED TIRES. Anyone know if Tirerack has a deal on purchasing 8 tires at once? A friend of mine with a bugeye wants Dunlop Star Specs as well.

Archived