LegacyGT.com

I thought I crashed into a truck 50mph yesterday

Driving home in S# around 60mph. I have automatic transmission Legacy GT 08.

Suddenly the transmission does the hardest gear change ever of my life time. It hit so hard that I thought I just ran into a brickwall highway speeds. I couldn't concentrate on the road after the hit for few seconds, wondering if my car is okay and what's going on. It did it before lightly, which I just ignored.

And it was useless telling the dealer, since they won't be able to duplicate these type of things.

I think there must have been some kind of massive damage to my transmission, no way these parts can obtain that much force without damage... I have maintenance very soon, I will mention it.

All I can say I had an accident before @ 30mph in another car... it was nothing compared to this.. the accident felt light compared to what I had yesterday.

Where was the temp gauge at? My car shifts hard at higher RPMs for the first 5-10 minutes of driving depending on the outside temperature. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is always the worst.

It takes a few minutes to warm the fluids up to operating temperature, so if the trans fluid was still cold, that could be your reason.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Where was the temp gauge at? My car shifts hard at higher RPMs for the first 5-10 minutes of driving depending on the outside temperature. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is always the worst.

It takes a few minutes to warm the fluids up to operating temperature, so if the trans fluid was still cold, that could be your reason.

I was only driving about 3 mins when it happened...

It won't let you into s# until the oil reaches a certain temperature, but that's not an indication of transmission temperature.

You might want to check your ATF level. If its low, the tranny will shift harder and can be damaged.

It's cool; I'm with the band

did the car come to a stop? and are there any check engine lights? were you driving the vehicle hard? and were you shifting the gears with the paddles or was the vehicle shifting it self?

it slowed down ... wasn't driving the vehicle hard... it was D no paddles

Brick wall? Seriously? The most deceleration you can experience while at speed is capped above by tire traction. So the most you can get - is as if you were threshold braking, which is nothing compared to hitting anything solid.

Its just that you got it unexpectedly....

It auto-downshifted on you even though you were accelerating?

I'm pretty sure that's what a 5eat does. If you floor it in S# the car definitely downshifts to give you that quicker acceleration.

I don't have the S# option. My '05 does not do that...although I never even use the regular sport mode on my EAT... if I'm doing some spirited driving I am in manual mode anyways so I suppose I may have just never noticed. But it all seems to add up. OP- check your ATF levels. Note the color of the fluid as well to try and figure out how dirty it is and whether you need to flush it or not.

^^^+2

Fuel cut will feel like you hit a brick wall and could have been caused by a number of factors including real hard acceleration combined with temp changes or even low fuel....

I would continue to drive and see if it does it again. If it does, then I would start looking into to things, but what you are describing sounds like fuel cut. If it were the tranny, you'd probably hear some bad noises when it does this.

How hard were you accelerating? What exactly were you doing? Can you give a more detailed description of the situation?

^^^+2

Fuel cut will feel like you hit a brick wall and could have been caused by a number of factors including real hard acceleration combined with temp changes or even low fuel....

I would continue to drive and see if it does it again. If it does, then I would start looking into to things, but what you are describing sounds like fuel cut. If it were the tranny, you'd probably hear some bad noises when it does this.

How hard were you accelerating? What exactly were you doing? Can you give a more detailed description of the situation?

I wasn't accelerating hard at the time or even at all, if its fuel cut wouldn't it be just instant loss of power?

Archived