LegacyGT.com

squeaking noise

after taking my 05 lgt to the dealership last Thursday for an oil change i noticed a squeaking sound coming from the driver side front. The noise doesn't start until i drive a few miles. The squeak does get louder with speed and quits when i stop. The only why i can describe the sound is it sounds like rubber rubbing metal. Going on road trip next week and would like to solve the problem this week. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Wheel bearings don't typically squeak, at least mine didn't when it went out. It will hum and vibrate, especially on turns that put most of the weight on that particular wheel. I would check the boot first.
It's cool; I'm with the band

i found out that it only does it after i make a left hand turn at any speed over 5mph. i called subaru and made an appointment to have it looked at. I was hoping to save money and fix it myself but im a newbe to the subaru world. thanks for the help.

Maybe you'll luck out like I did. I had my wheel bearing replaced a month or so ago and I was going to do it myself, but I took it to the dealer instead. It turns out the bearings were covered under warranty and they did it all at no charge. Plus they rotated my tires and checked my brakes and treadwear for free.
It's cool; I'm with the band

after a quick trip to subaru and $72 dollars later the problem is hopefully solved. According to subaru there is a seal in the hub that has small fins that run directional. The fins run the right way on the passenger side but the wrong way on the drivers side. With just enough friction it makes noise. The mechanic used a small blade and cut off the ridges and said good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
most likely if its coming from the drivers side. it sounds just like rubber rubbing metal. it wasn't a constant noise on mine, it would come and go. subaru said the weather,driving conditions,moisture,speed all could affect the noise.

Archived