LegacyGT.com

70k mile tune up

My '98 Legacy is going to be hitting the 70,000 mile mark soon, and that is about when my next oil change should be so Im planning on a more complete tune up. Since I got the car in Sept. 08 Iv put on about 17k miles, and only done oil changes and replaced the air filter. What are some other things I should be doing. I can think of some but I want some help making a good list and maybe someone knows something that should be done (I dont know alot about Subarus, or this motor, so I dont know specific things that would make a big difference) Also what kind of oil does everyone recommend?

i have 83 :p but 70 does seem to low!

jealous

can start with your spark plugs if you dont know when theyve last been changed, a new air filter and if your using the oem silver fuel filter i would change that at this point. since the cars 12 years old new wires would be good. except if you get a shop to do this it will cost alot more than grabbing the wires online... like 90$ > 50$ and cheaper for ngk wires.(use ngk plugs aswell)

you can run any 5w-30 oil im using castrol semi synthetic because i think my engine leaks a tiny bit and dont want to use full synthetic.

what you need to know about this motor is that if you drive it to agressively your headgaskets will pop.

Well it only has 70k miles because it was my grandmas car. She put on about 53k before I got ahold of it. If you think thats low you should see my truck, its a 91 with only 65k.

Anyway, I thought headgasket problems were with the 2.5s not the 2.2s?

And I had plugs and wire on my list but was unsure of which kind to use. And I was also thinking of a fuel filter, it may have been changed before I got the car, but idk.

I forgot to mention I just did new brake pads about a month or so ago. Its been a few months but the fluid should be good. I didnt do rotors but their fine for now. And I serviced the tranny fluid with my last oil change.

Archived