LegacyGT.com

Roof Rack Question (ATTENTION: Forester Owners)

Will the Forester crossbars fit my '05 Legacy wagon?

I am currently looking for a set of crossbars. I'm on a limited budget, and would really like a full Thule or Yakima setup, but for now, factory crossbars will have to do. I have a RockyMount Noose SL bike carrier that I used on my '01 Outback w/ OEM crossbars. That setup worked well for me, so I'd like to keep using it until I can afford a better rack.

I've noticed that Subaru Foresters have flush mounted roof rails that look to be identical to those on my Legacy. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the Forester crossbars will fit onto the Legacy? I'm thinking the width between the rails is different, but can't find these measurements online anywhere. I know that Yakima recommends 48" bars for both cars, but, due to the nature of their installation, this isn't a good enough comparison. One car could have more or less bar overhang than the other.

My mom has an '05 Forester and offered to ship me her crossbars if I want them, so I'll just be paying shipping for those, instead of buying Legacy crossbars or paying $$$ for an aftermarket setup. I know the Yakima / Thule sets are stronger, etc., but I just don't have the $$ this year.

If anyone has tried this, or if anyone knows where I can find these measurements, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Why don't you get them and let us know?

I know that both my US and Canadian cross bars don't fit my wife's 04 Imprexa or my parent's 09 Fozzie.

Well, I was hoping somebody else might have already thought of this and tried it. I don't want to bother her with it if they don't fit my Legacy.

She's not exactly mechanically inclined. It may be simple, but this is the type of thing she would have her mechanic do, since I'm not exactly local these days...:rolleyes:

Anyone else have any input? I might wind up stopping at a dealer lot somewhere and finding a used Forester to compare. I wonder if they'll let me test-fit a set of Forester bars from one of their used cars...

I better take a tape measure. :rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't believe I just now noticed that Foresters have the same rail design. :rolleyes:

According to cars101.com, the width and track dimensions between the 2005 Legacy and 2005 Forester are nearly identical.

Of course, the more upright shape of the Forester likely makes its roof slightly wider than the Legacy. So the rails may be wider on the Forester, after all.

I will be checking this with a tape measure this Saturday.

• 1 month later...

I just put my 05 forester rack on my 05 LGT wagon. The fit isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn close, definitely does the job and they crab the rails just fine. attached a Thule Criterium bike rack and have been hauling my mountain bike around for weeks with no problems. The factory front forester bar does flex a bit, but that's most likely because of the Thule Criterium and how top heavy the bike is using that bike mount as it doesn't require taking off the front wheel. I know with a fork mount it would be more solid and that front bar wouldn't flex as much. I guess there's always the option of putting a steel rod or something through the bar for strength (just thought of that)

walk through

-Had to remove both bars from the mounts and cut them down a bit as the forester is wider than the legacy wagon (note, I only cut one side of each bar, which means I only removed the one adjustable mount attached to each bar)

-After cuts are complete, put the mouts and bars back on the Legacy and secure the mounts.

Mark each bar with a pencil to show where the mount overlaps the bars on the cut end.

**Before making your pencil marks on the bars, push up on the bars from the bottom side and then make your mark, you will see what I'm talking about. This is critical as you'll need to re-drill new bolt holes on the cut ends of the bars to re-attache them to the mounts.

-Take rack off the car and head back to the garage.

-One bar at a time, line up the mounts with the pencil mark on the bars and drill 2 new holes for the oem bolts. Holes don't have to be perfectly spaced as this mount is adjustable. *i don't remember which size drill bit to use so first test on some scrap wood. (i know it's bigger than 1/8") you'll want a hole where the bolt doesn't quite fit, but you can screw it in.

-Add a washer to the bolt and screw em into the new holes you drilled. Be steady and slow and keep the bolt straight, it will thread itself into the soft metal of the bars and will screw tight! *remember to check you mount alignment with the pencil mark made on the bar.

-Once mounts are secure on each bar, re-install on car- DONE

Nice job, fastwec. I'm glad to see somebody got around to trying it out. I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to check this out. My car is at the dealer right now awaiting warranty approval for a complete engine teardown.

On another note, if anyone else is planning to try this, I recently noticed that Baja rails are also of the same design. ;) A few weeks ago, I got a really good deal on a set of Yakima Railgrabbers and bars, so I mounted my RockyMounts carrier to those.

You are welcome! :)

/sarcasm:icon_roll

There are people that just don't want/can't deal with all that you went through and just want/need something quick.

So if my post offended you, it wasn't my intention. Here, have a tissue.:p

You are welcome! :)

/sarcasm:icon_roll

There are people that just don't want/can't deal with all that you went through and just want/need something quick.

So if my post offended you, it wasn't my intention. Here, have a tissue.:p

No offense at all. You did your homework and it paid off. I'll have to watch ebay to see if any crossbars come up in the price range you got em for, what a great deal. Have an awesome week and thanks for the tissue, I was out of TP :lol:

Archived