LegacyGT.com

Short review of General UHP tires

peteyjr

Finally got new tires to replace my Falken FK 452'2. 225/45/18 General UHP tires on 2006 spec B rims. Initial impression was that of a smooth riding quiet tire but with horrible squishy ride and poor handling (at least at first). My Falkens were down to slicks but were handling great . I could hit my usual sweepers and offramps with great confidence. When I changed to the UHP's I thought I had swapped out to the stock suspension (Mine is fairly modified and tuned for track/autocross). Thats what you get for getting a high treadwear and tall tread blocks I thought at first. After 2000 miles and bumping up the tire pressures from 34 psi(set by the shop) to 38 front, 40 rear they handle a whole lot different. I can plow thru rain effortlessly and the handling is quite good . Breakaway seems pretty progressive. These tires remind me of a set of Toyo T1R's I had before the Falkens. Not very good at first but coming on after some pressure tweaking and some miles on them. If they last a year on my hard driving I'll be happy. These were the least expensive performance tire I would consider on tire rack.

I bought them after two messed up, practically new RE92s. Figured it was cheaper to buy 4 of these now than 2 RE92s. I bought them because of great reviews, not for their femninity. Of course, she has snows for the winter also.

So.... I'm driving on wifey kind of tires . Are they manly enough?

If it makes you feel any better, I was going to put these on after I took my winter tires off but decided to hold off until I get a new set of wheels. So I think they are plenty manly. I don't put anything on my wife's car I wouldn't use on my own :)

Now thats manly enough for me. I got ribbed by my autocross WRX buddy for getting family tires (he wanted me to get the Z1 star specs) No need for short lived summer tires since I have R compound for track/autocross.

Archived