LegacyGT.com

Newbie question about coilovers ands struts

Deadleave

Having read thread on this forum, I still can't tell the design difference between struts/springs and coilovers; Some offer adjustable spring rates, height etc.....but in terms of function, it seems like both are just dampers with springs. Seems like struts and springs are install and forget and tend to last the term of its life, whereas coilovers need to be rebuilt every 2~3 years. Is this just due to the nature of the use/abuse coilovers take over its strut/spring counterparts ? Would either driven the same, last the same duration ?

I do not a track/race, but do enjoy the tight turns, and noticing much to be desired over my old impreza. DD car, no need for a drop, just looking for sharpness. Hard acceleration feels wobbly, sharp turns feels like lifting and breaking traction. But before I do anything, I would like to learn, and if you guys can point me in the right direction or good info sites, much appreciate it.

Thanks

Jay

Found this on Google:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-suspension/11994-coilovers-vs-regular-suspension.html

A good coilover setup has several advantages over lowering springs that fit in the stock struts.

The first, and really most important feature is adjustability. You can set the height of the car, within a range, without removing the suspension. Second, In a properly designed coilover system, the shock absorbers are designed and valved to operate optimally at whatever height setting the driver chooses. When a simple lowering spring is installed in the factory strut, it may cause the factory shock absorber to operate improperly, sometimes causing the suspension to smash the bump stops on rough roads. That can be bad for both your handling and your wallet. Third, because of the narrower wind of most coilover springs, the camber of the wheels can be adjusted, either using camber plates or hogging the mounting holes in the strut mounts (the budget racing solution). On the MINI, there is very little room for adjustment with the stock suspension setup. By getting negative camber (looking at the front of the car, the bottom of the wheels are further out than the tops of the wheels) one can improve cornering by achieving a better tire contact patch.

The one caveat with the coilover systems is that they need proper adjustment to work most effectively. For the real enthusiast, mearly measuring the height of each corner is not sufficient. The car must be corner weighed, which costs money. An alternative to paying for your car to be corner weighed is to find a local club racer with scales and bribe them with beer. I find beer is a very valuable currency with club racers. Try www.scca.org and go to your local chapter and star calling. If you're in the Philly region, give me a call, and I'll point you in the right direction.

Shameless plug: we have KW coilovers and lowering springs in stock, for both early and late cars. These are TUV and ISO 9001 approved, German built systems. They come with a lifetime warranty and are very competitivly priced.

Eric @ Helix MINIsports

Archived