LegacyGT.com

Intercooler

ok so i wanna jb weld my intercooler for preparations for going stg2. i've only been able to find one picture of it and the guy did the whole plastic part of it. From reading what people say do i only need to do it where the plastic meets the metal. Kinda where it sticks up a little bit and looks like shark teeth. <- thats the first thing that came to mind to describe it. Anyone got pictures of one they did that they could post up?

Also with the IC off would the banjo bolt be super easy to get to then or would it still be a pain in the ass? Figure i would kill two birds with one stone.

ok so i wanna jb weld my intercooler for preparations for going stg2. i've only been able to find one picture of it and the guy did the whole plastic part of it. From reading what people say do i only need to do it where the plastic meets the metal. Kinda where it sticks up a little bit and looks like shark teeth. <- thats the first thing that came to mind to describe it. Anyone got pictures of one they did that they could post up?

Also with the IC off would the banjo bolt be super easy to get to then or would it still be a pain in the ass? Figure i would kill two birds with one stone.

Bruce, take a good look at your IC where the "shark teeth" are. Lets call these tabs. These tabs are BENT around the plastic endcaps so that they can hold the plastic endcaps to the IC core. What happens is that with higher boost those tabs get overpowered and the plastic endcap seperates.

The JB weld needs to reinforce those tabs so that they cannot be easily overpowered. Make your jb weld kind of like a snake and lay it along the platic to metal connection. Cover the tab to the plastic connection with the jb weld; 1/4" of JB material on both sides and covering the top of the connection - ALL the way on both sides. This seems to successfully keep the endtanks from blowing apart.

You are NOT connecting the endtanks with the jb weld. Do not go totally crazy - You are merely REINFORCING the connection that already exists so that it cannot be unbent.

Hope it helps.

Archived