LegacyGT.com

Handholding request: removing that undercover

Hi all,

I have a 2001 OBW, presumably a generation-two model, a bit earlier than the models covered by this forum but I hope someone can share a tip or two.... (off-topic, I've tried joining subaruoutback.org but the registration fails and they don't answer emails....sigh....)

I bought Subaru coolant, conditioner, and the upper and lower radiator hoses with big DIY plans. It's time to put in new coolant and the upper hose is stressed.

The complete undercover on this model Subaru is held on with three metal 12mm (I think...) screws in the front, two more in the far back, and two smaller screws up in the wheelwells, just forward of the front tires. I unscrewed all these, but something "else" I can't see seems to be holding the cover at the front. Maybe it's a tab or two that slips into metal slots but I can't seem to find it (them).

My mechanical skills are limited to oil/fluid replacement, filters, plugs, brake pads, that sort of thing. I've pulled the small slide-out from the undercover a few times to change oil & filter, but this is the first time I've tried to get the whole thing off (which I need to do to get to that lower radiator hose, unless I try to replace it "blind").

Any 01 OBW lurkers here?

I have no experience with a car like yours, but I have a Haynes manual that covers the '00 to '06 Legacy, Forester, Outback and Baja. The photo for the engine splash guard is from an '06 Outback, but maybe it will give you some ideas about what to look for.

The photo shows nine fasteners holding the lower splash guard. They are paired up, regularly spaced on each side of the centerline, at the same distances from the front of the car, except for the last, odd screw.

Shown for the '06 are:

2 screws (one one each side) near the front bumper, just inboard of the tie-down eyelets.

Another pair of screws just aft of the first set, but several inches inboard toward the center line of the car.

A pair out at the outboard edges of the shield ahead of the front wheel wells.

Another pair on the edges of the shield, each screw aft of the front wheel well.

Finally, there is one screw at the center rear of the panel, just ahead of the cross-member that attaches to the ends of the lower control arms.

Maybe some of your screw locations are similar. If you forgot some screws, it might be preventing you from sliding the cover back to disengage a tab at the front of the shield.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

DiscoPete, thanks, I saw that Haynes manual for sale at Autozone not long back, think I'll go pick one up. Apparently these undercovers come in quite a few variations. I called my local Subaru dealer yesterday and their brief explanation is that the front of my particular undercover also is held on with one or more clip fasteners. I just can't seem to find the darn things.... Will have at it again today maybe. BTW, the dealer quoted me $60 for coolant change PLUS $75 to replace the upper rad hose and another $95 for the lower rad hose (parts included). $230 total, maybe not so painful for the peace of mind knowing they did it right, but this is something I -should- be able to do myself, provided I can get this baby to burp the air pockets out right....

Might try posting at subaruoutback.com.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Might try posting at subaruoutback.com.

Hi, yep I'd like to (assuming you mean subaruoutback.org) but can't get on board. Their registration procedure has one of those "enter the text you see in the box" anti-bot features but the box is totally black (on my PC screen) .....and they don't reply to emails. No prob, though, I'll find the extra fasteners somehow or rip that undercover off and slap a piece of sheetmetal on in its place.

Woohoo, there are a couple of plastic clips on the front edge that snap into the body proper. After unscrewing all the screws and pulling downward on the front edge of the undercover, the clips unsnapped easily the second try. Doh!

Got the coolant out, removed the old hoses with no problems, and got the new upper hose on without fuss, too, but that lower rad hose was both hard to get off and the new one a beech to get on; I was afraid I might break the water pump inlet or radiator hose outlet as they look like they're made of some plastic.

Got that lower hose on, finally, though looking from above, I think it has the slightest torsion, as it's slightly flat on one side about 4 inches out from the radiator outlet. It's really on the rad tight though (even without the clamp tightened up).... I can't budge it or turn it and am really afraid of that rad material... I hope my car is not doomed now.

Archived