LegacyGT.com

Followed an S4 to Tahoe

On Saturday, on my way to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento, I was following a 2004 S4 on a two lane highway (HW50). Every 5 miles or so, there are straight passing lanes that are about 1/4 mile long, then back to twisty roads again. On the first passing lane, he went on the left lane and gunned it. There were only a couple of cars on the slow lane so I was able to pass them and catch up to the S4.

When the next passing lane came, I knew that he was going to floor it again so I put mine on sports mode and kept up with him. After passing a couple of cars, he did the courtesy thing of going to the right lane to let others pass, but that wasn't his intentions because his speed kept going faster. I just followed him to the right lane because I didn't want him to think that I was trying to race him. We reached speeds of up to 95mph on the sections with the passing lanes. It was a spirited drive on the single lane twisties, but not going too fast and crazy. This happened all the way to Lake Tahoe.

Just some info, there were 3 people in my car plus our luggages while he was by himself. Elevation was 5,000 ft all the way up to 7,000 feet. I think the elevation was to my car's advantage.

On the way I was thinking that the S4 was a sweet looking car. When I got back to Sacramento on Sunday, I looked up the Audi S4 and found out it had a V8 (344HP), AWD, and a new 2005 body style. The S4 is definitely a performance oriented sedan. Apologize to others that this isn't a "kill" story, but just an experience of having a fun drive.

Apologize to others that this isn't a "kill" story, but just an experience of having a fun drive.

Actually, this forum was never intended to be for "Kill" stories, rather a place to compare the Legacy to other cars as in features, relative performance etc. Not so much racing.

Dave.

If i had to bet money on a LGT vs S4 race at 5k feet i would prolly go with the LGT. However, with 3 people in your car and an automatic i would go with the S4. I know this thread isnt about racing but just my thoughts anyway. When my Legacy was stock a stage 2 WRX only pulled me 1 car from slow roll to 95 mph. The WRX driver was more shocked than i was.

I put mine on sports mode

Why do so many LGT owners drive auto's?

I have a base model auto (with sport shift/mode) outback (company car) and a new LGT LTD manual. I don't know what I would do if I had to drive that auto all the time. And as for the sport shift, all that does is delay the shift point. I'm not ripping on people who have the auto, maybe I'm just ignorant to why auto is so popular in this sports sedan.

I have a base model auto (with sport shift/mode) outback (company car) and a new LGT LTD manual. I don't know what I would do if I had to drive that auto all the time. And as for the sport shift, all that does is delay the shift point. I'm not ripping on people who have the auto, maybe I'm just ignorant to why auto is so popular in this sports sedan.

Probably because it's still practical for those with families and wives (apologies to the ladies out there) who don't necessary want/like manual?

Also, ever sat in bumper-to-bumper for an hour in a stick?

It's NOT as good as a manual - but it's not THAT bad either in gear-shifting mode. I just wish someone would release a TCU upgrade to "shift now" rather than 1-2 seconds later.. That would make it SO much better!

HV

I didn't buy the Legacy to be a sports car, I bought it for its practicality. Also, if the auto only had 4 gears, then maybe I would've opted for the manual

Guest JessterCPA
I didn't buy the Legacy to be a sports car, I bought it for its practicality. Also, if the auto only had 4 gears, then maybe I would've opted for the manual

+1

I agree 100%. I needed the usefulness of the AWD & 4-door. The 250hp sealed the deal. If it had the 4-speed auto, I probably would have gotten a Forester XT.

Jesse

We all buy/drive these cars for different reasons and purposes, please respect others and their choices in this regard.

Please don't turn this thread into another flame war.

Thanks

Dave.

Archived