LegacyGT.com

Tranny noise question

turboman38

I had my 05 LGT (manual 5 speed tranny) to the shop yesterday for a "whining" noise. The tech put the car on the rack and determined the noise was coming from the tailshaft housing on the tranny. He said he had done a couple of these where he replaced two gears and a bearing the the tail of the tranny. I replied that he had done that to my car already. I checked with the service manager and they did the job under warrabty at 42,000 miles. I have almost 87,000 on the car now. Is this a normal thing to replace these parts every 40, to 45,000 miles?

I don't think it is. They asked me if I was "launching" the car. I admitted that I had done that prior to the first time the did the work but I have not raced the since they did the work the first time.

Any idea what would cause these parts to go bad? (gears and bearing in the tail shaft)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure what could cause them to go bad? did you ever get an answer on what it actually was? If it's the center diff I've heard that driving with mismatched tires (one new tire and the others used) or doughnuts can cause it to go bad but I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm guessing improper alignment or anything that would make the car not symmetrical would cause issues in that section of the tranny. I'm very new to transmissions so I'm not really sure what would cause it but I do want to know what the outcome was.

Archived