LegacyGT.com

Borrow tactrix cable?

rockle3

Can anyone lend me their tactrix cable or help me datalog? I would normally do it with my AP dongle but I need to be able to log wideband with my uego....which is another problem in itself. Thanks in advance.

My gauge-type aem wbo2 has a serial output. I followed the instructions included with the gauge to attach the aem serial wire to a 9-pin serial terminal (swiped an old serial cable from the supply room at work). Used the serial-usb adapter from diyautotune.com, set the bit or baud rates of the port to what the AEM instructions said. Selected the AEM WBO2 input in romraider's logger. Attach the ebay cable to one usb port and the usb-serial converter to another usb port, turn on the car, start displaying or logging. Done.

I would use this usb-serial adapter instead of some unknown ebay piece. usb-serial adapters are notorious for not working well. I trust DIYautotune as they are well known in the megasquirt and miata community. It's only $20 and I have confirmed it works with the aem and romraider software.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/usb-to-serial-adapter-works-with-megatune-p-67.html

Instead of buying a 9 pin serial terminal and attempting to solder the wire directly to a pin, I "borrowed" a standard cable from the supply room. Like this one for $5.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-tuning-cable-db9-straight-thru-p-35.html

I cut the cable about 3 feet long. I ran the wire under the center consol and through the storage box under the arm rest. I coil it up in there when I'm not using it. Also, it's much easier to splice two wires together than solder a wire onto one of those pins.

Archived