LegacyGT.com

Maybe this Glaze really works...

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist - that is I've always kept my car clean looking good. Today I decided to go the glaze route, inspired by this forum.

After hours of wiping this ^%$^@ on, wiping it off, and buffing, I honestly was ready to throw everything out. It just wasn't worth it. How do you guys do this, I wondered. There must be an easier way, I thought. And then they go over it again with wax!

Then after dark this evening I went back out to my garage to get something, turned the lights on and, well, WOW! The car looked the best it ever has - and I did a novice job.

Of course it's going to rain tomorrow.:p

What kind of glaze did you use? Meguiar's #7 is one that is usually pretty easy to find and is one of my favorites for "morning of car show" type details. Glazes are usually loaded with oils that really do a good job at hiding swirls and imperfections. The downside is that those oils are really bad dust magnets, so be ready for that.

There may be easier ways to do it. I've found that once you get the right process down then you can cut a 5 hour job down to 2 hours. Its all in how you do it. The products generally don't matter when it comes to what appearance you get. You can get a show winning shine with stuff off the shelf at WalMart, but the process in using those products can make a big difference in how the finished product looks. I'm working on an article for www.ocdetails.com that goes into good process ideas for off the shelf products. Hopefully I'll have it done this week.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks, I'll have to take a look when you're done. You hit the nail on the head - Meguiar's#7. I was going to follow it up with Maguiar's #26 Carnuba wax, but ran out of time and daylight. Will a wax help prevent the dust issue?

Usually. Just using a spay quick detailer will do the trick too. #7 isn't something you want to really wax over though. The oils are what give it the effect. Waxing over it ruins that. You might as well just wax and skip the glaze if you are going to layer. I'd ride with just the glaze for awhile and see what you think. #7 is a product you can't layer on top of (too many solvents) and other products don't really layer well on top of it (too much oil), so I would suggest just enjoying it while it lasts and in 3 or 4 weeks when the oils have all evaporated try some #26 and see what you think of that. Did you get the paste #26 or the liquid? They both basically do the same thing, but you might find less issues with dust if you use the paste version.

OCDETAILS BLOG

^^

Liquid. Interesting comments about wax over glaze. The glaze instructions suggested following up with #26.

I'm content leaving it the way it is for now. And it does look good, though small swirls and scratches still show through.

well, instructions are a funny thing sometimes... Following up with a wax would wipe out most of the benefit of the glaze, but it is something you can do. #7 with #26 on top looks suspiciously like just plain #26 to my eyes. On the day of a show there isn't much quite like the wet oily look that #7 gives. However, different strokes for different folks. :) If it works for you then you should keep it up. :cool:

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wouldn't know as I never got it on - your recommendation makes it sound like I inadvertantly saved a lot of time!

Now I'm curious about Wolfgang and S100 Redline had good luck with. S100's cleaners are the bomb, but I wasn't even aware then made a wax.

Archived