LegacyGT.com

roof racks for 08 2.5i...

looking to get a roof rack for my bikes, but realizing how pricey they are. can anyone recommend something reasonably priced that still performs and looks decent? would you trust a used rack? is a fairing necessary? i heard that without one, the noise is severe. sorry, but no experience with roof racks, so any advice is appreciated.

Personallly I'd go hitch mount - keeps bikes out of the slipstream and your mileage isn't affected as much.

Get an OEM hitch mounted, then a rack like a Kuat Sherpa or similar.

I have the thule, the design is good but you can't move the crossbars very far back. Search for the forums for the thread on the channel mod to the crossbars.

The wind noise is pretty noticeable (i have a moonroof); I'm thinking about a fairing or some sort of diffuser.

L/100km gets worse by about 2 in the city, which sucks bigtime.

Go on Amazon.com and piece one together yourself. Otherwise, buying direct or from an authorized dealer at a bike shop would cost you upwards of $600.

I have a Yakima roof rack and love it. Wind noise is noticeable, btw, even with a fairing.

What I did was go to Yakima.com, built a rack to fit the car. Then I went on Amazon, looked up each individual part for the cheapest price, and saved $200 doing it that way.

Only disadvantage is, it all comes from different places for the most part, so it all won't come at once. I'd say that's worth the minor inconvenience to save that much money.

Archived