LegacyGT.com

Installing the auto-dim mirror in 2010 Legacy

Hey all,

The installation of the mirror is pretty simple and you'll need nothing other than some basic tools. I took some pictures along the way with the hope it may make it a little more clear for others, as the instructions aren't totally clear.

First, open the glasses holder and remove the 2 phillips screws:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0036.jpg

Pulling the console down can be scary, new trim pieces are pretty tight to remove, I found the best place to pull (just with fingers, no tool needed) was right along the side of the map light. You can pull the lens off if you're worried about putting too much force on it. Here is the location of the 2 rear tabs/clips:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0035.jpg

With the rear loose, pull down and toward the rear to free the front clips. The console will now come loose. There are 3 wire harnesses holding it and you can safely let it hang from those, but I removed it for more space and to get pictures. Here are the front tabs that clip into slots in the headliner area:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0032.jpg

Here is the connector you are looking for in the headliner area. It is off to the right (passenger side) wrapped in foam:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0031.jpg

The only sort of tricky part was getting the harness through the headliner, there was no way doing that as best I could tell without prying out this trim plug to allow the center of the headliner to drop some more:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0029.jpg

It's right in the center of the opening in the headliner above the glasses holder. I used a tool made for these from Snap-On (I worked in a shop previously), but a flathead screwdriver should work as well, or even a solid fork you don't care about.

After the wire is snaked in, just plug in the white connector to the existing plug and the black plug into the mirror and put it all back together. When your done you will need to set the compass zone (info is included with the kit) and find a place to calibrate the compass by driving in circles. On my way to the empty school lot the compass sorted itself out so I didn't need to do this. When you're done you'll get this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/03NHSilvy/Subaru/Mirror/DSCF0052.jpg

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the walkthrough. I just got finished installing my auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink.

I don't know about yours, but my trim plug was pretty stubborn. :mad:

After the install, I realized that my auto-open/close function for my driver side window wasn't working. :confused: It ended up being that I just tightened the terminal on the battery one rotation too many.

In the end, it's a neat item.

Thanks for the walkthrough. I just got finished installing my auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink.

I don't know about yours, but my trim plug was pretty stubborn. :mad:

After the install, I realized that my auto-open/close function for my driver side window wasn't working. :confused: It ended up being that I just tightened the terminal on the battery one rotation too many.

In the end, it's a neat item.

Wow I totally missed that someone finally used one of my walkthroughs! :lol:

Yeah, the plug was real tight, I used a trim tool made for removing them and it was still tough as the tool is designed to use something as a pivot point to gain leverage- I just wedged my hand between the headliner and the tool and it worked ok, kinda hurt though. :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

• 2 months later...

Do you by any chance have the connection details on the mirror side? Can you tell me whether the mirror has 2x5 or 2x6 pins? I have one of these mirrors, it cam w/o connector (ebay). The mirror has 2x5 pins, but the harness I picked up at the dealer has 2x6... I need to rig something, but I don't have a wiring diagram. I may have made a very foolish purchase on ebay... This is for a 2011 Outback which shoul dbe the same as a 2010 Outback which should be the same as a 2010 Legacy GT

Regards,

Rich

• 4 months later...
Do you by any chance have the connection details on the mirror side? Can you tell me whether the mirror has 2x5 or 2x6 pins? I have one of these mirrors, it cam w/o connector (ebay). The mirror has 2x5 pins, but the harness I picked up at the dealer has 2x6... I need to rig something, but I don't have a wiring diagram. I may have made a very foolish purchase on ebay... This is for a 2011 Outback which shoul dbe the same as a 2010 Outback which should be the same as a 2010 Legacy GT

Regards,

Rich

I looked it up at www.subarupartsforyou.com. Both the legacy and outback have the same part # (on their website). What eBay seller did you buy from, and was it new?

Anyone find any good deals on an autodim mirror for a Tribeca?

Check www.subarupartsforyou.com Im going to get an Auto dim from them (for my 10 LGT). It was the lowest price I found online. Im not affilated. I live in CT so I wont pay shipping. looks like they do local pick up also. I checked ebay but the list price is higher and the shipping is more.

I did some research and it looks like they are a subaru dealer selling wholesale online only. If you go there without an order placed already you will pay retail price. (I called today). I found there number on google using their address. so if your not local I would see if price (list price, tax 6% CT, and shipping) is cheapest.

• 3 weeks later...
I did this install today. Took about 15 mins. I didn't disconnect the battery tho. To remove the liner pin. I wedged two fingers on each side and it slowly came out (Lickedy splits no $hit). Anyone know what the power button on the mirror does. Forgive me I didn't research it yet.

Archived