LegacyGT.com

Help with In-dash navigation/stereo!

Kodax

Okay, here is my problem. Recently I bought a Subaru legacy 3.0R (not the limited version) for a relative good price. The car runs great and it is an extremely fun to drive. However, I am not exactly happy with the interior of the car.

I want to be able to change songs without moving my entire hand! I did some reading and it seems that it is not possible for me to install the audio controls on the steering wheel because my car only has a normal CD player and not the 6 CD player. I am also pretty tired of having to keep charging my GPS and the wires running around the dash that charges the GPS looks pretty untidy.

In order to solve this problem, I have decided to purchase a in-dash navigation which comes with stereo as well. Hopefully I will be able to install the audio controls on the steering wheel that works with the new in-dash GPS.

My question is could you guys give me some suggestion on what good in-dash navigation I should be looking at? And has anyone ever done this before?

I am looking around spending about $1000 on this, maybe a couple of hundreds more.

Does your 3.0R have Automatic Dual Climate Controls? If so, you'll need to refer to the JDM Dual HVAC sticky thread on how to swap out the A/C controls. It's more complex than swapping the radio out.

For head units with NAV, suggest you look at Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer.

Unfortunately, 3.0R doesn't have automatic dual climate controls. I am thinking right now just buying the the whole dual climate controls + 6 CD changer + audio control from a Subaru dealership and get them to install it for me. Is it possible?

Hey there,

Look at this part http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1600 I have this in my 2006 (I think it works on an 09, but I am not 100% sure) This will allow you to install any single or double din stereo. I have this installed with a pioneer avic-x710bt. Then you can install the stearing wheel controlls and you can hook them up to the pioneer unit as well...

And the color of this part is almost identical to that of the stock subaru grey interior.

I will be posting some pictures of this in another thread in about a week once my full stereo is installed.

Hope this helps

Hey there,

Look at this part http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1600 I have this in my 2006 (I think it works on an 09, but I am not 100% sure) This will allow you to install any single or double din stereo. I have this installed with a pioneer avic-x710bt. Then you can install the stearing wheel controlls and you can hook them up to the pioneer unit as well...

And the color of this part is almost identical to that of the stock subaru grey interior.

I will be posting some pictures of this in another thread in about a week once my full stereo is installed.

Hope this helps

Yes! That was just what I was thinking about. Was it difficult to install it by yourself? I am kinda afraid of destroying my legacy and I was thinking about getting either cartoys or best buy to do it for me. And do you have the parts number for the steering wheel audio controls? :redface:

If you have a basic knowledge of how to use tools, it should be pretty easy to install. Also I will find a pdf that has the full instructions on how to install it. Unfortunatly I dont have the part number for the steering wheel controls, in my car I will have to replace the whole steering wheel with one off a spec B, which will be bought from fredbeans

If you have a basic knowledge of how to use tools, it should be pretty easy to install. Also I will find a pdf that has the full instructions on how to install it. Unfortunatly I dont have the part number for the steering wheel controls, in my car I will have to replace the whole steering wheel with one off a spec B, which will be bought from fredbeans

Awesome! I will definitely look right into it. Keep me posted on your stereo project. Good luck with it! :)

Archived