LegacyGT.com

iPod workaround?

awd-turismo

Ok, let me preface this by saying that it's been 10 years since I did any major car audio upgrades.

I'm finally fed up with delaying my iPod purchase for lack of "quality" playback solutions for our Legacy. Today, I found that Alpine will soon (if not already) have a full featured head unit with a sweet slider for iPod control on the front with title display.

Still, it seems we don't yet have a great (or easy) DIN-mount console panel.

So, I ask: Why not purchase a small equalizer with Aux input and/or CD jack and a decent amp? Sure, EQ's (which don't appear to be popular anymore) might run $30-50 and an amp $100+, but some of us either have or might have an amp anyway. Yes, we'd have to get a speaker/rca converter, too.

Thanks,

Nolan

Actually, I looked into something like that. I was trying to spec out parts from davidnavone.com to put together a system like that. The idea was to use an A/B switch to select between inputs (MP3 vs. HU->LOC) and run that through an amp to the speakers. However, other people commented that there might be relative gain problems due to the MP3 player's signal level. I emailed David Navone and he sent me the following:

Hello Michael,

You're correct to be concerned about the signal level.. but most IPODs and

other MP3 players are around 1 Volt rms at the output. This will work in

most installations. And as you mentioned, the N-806 can handle the A/B

switch section of the system. I've been using the N-200 FM Transmitter for

the IPOD to rental car option.. and it works fine... Back to your idea, we

have the N-64 Line Driver for up to 2 Volts rms.. and the N-645 utilizes a

30 Volt bi-polar power supply... so it can handle a 9.5 Volt rms signal...

You can add either of these to your system..... It's just a matter of

reference....

Thanks

Dave

David Navone

Navone Engineering, Inc.

4119 Coronado Avenue, Suite 4

Stockton, CA 95204

Phone 800-669-6139

FAX 209-465-3059

email: dnavone@davidnavone.com

So it sounds doable, but I don't know of anyone who's actually done it.

I've been looking at these equalizers from boss: http://www.bossaudio.com/products/equalizers.htm

The 5-bands might fit the cubby, but I'd be a little concerned about the amplified one (silver) getting things too hot. I just can't find the specs/install notes for these. I've contacted the company, though.

The rest would certainly fit in the upper tray of the glove box. Most have CD inputs (iPod) and some have volume controls, too. I think it would be nice just to stick the AVA 1215 in the center armrest and add a decent amp.

boss.jpg.d8a05467be104c679ef1f88d966e19e5.jpg

Have you considered the new JL Audio Clean Sweep? It's a $400 box that will accept the speaker level out from the head unit. With the help of a calibration CD, it will provide a flat pre-out. There's an external volume knob that also serves as a switch for the aux input.

With the Nav system in the 06 we should also get a different head unit (they need to route the voice commands somehow).

I have an Apline 9851 and iPod adapter in another car. It's one of the new '05 decks with the mid level display (not the entry level, but no the greyscale bio-screen either). It works really well with the exception of scroll speed. I have not had an opportunity to try the 9853 with it's magic touchpad. A simple solution is to just make a couple of playlists and give up on the need to scroll through every artist.

Archived