LegacyGT.com

New to the board

Hi everyone,

I'll start off with a little intro..

My driving history has mainly included german cars, so the Legacy is a new venture for me. I have a bad habit of modifying my cars to no end, so I was hoping to not catch the mod bug with this one... yea right :lol:. I love the car, it rode like a dream, had amazing pickup, and a boatload of awesome features. I don't have any pictures because the day I took it on a test drive it happened to be a torrential downpour. I am picking her up tomorrow afternoon and should have some pictures up by the weekend for everyone.

The details:

05 Legacy GT 5MT

Silver on Black

51k miles

My concern is that it does not come with a warranty from the dealer (it's a small dealership) and they tried to sell me one of those continental extended warranties. I read so many horrible reviews on those that I'm just going to take my chances. With the mileage, what are routine maintenance issues that could come up within the next 10-15k miles, or things I should replace just to be precautious?

I also wanted to check if anyone ever came across a reputable extended warranty company? I've read great reviews on reliability for these cars, I just would rather have that peace of mind if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight, and I look forward to meeting everyone and seeing what this subaru adventure is all about :)

Sorry, I have not heard of any extended warranty companies that could be recommended. Steer clear.

First off I would change the oil and filter and then change it religiously after that. Next, check the previous owner service records to determine what fluids and maintenance need to be done.

No service records? Oh, well in that case you should change out all the drivetrain fluids and coolant.

Bleed the brake and clutch lines?

Sure, if your reservoirs looks like they're filled with maple syrup instead of clean DOT-3.

What about the air filter?

Well it wouldn't hurt to check that too.

Above all have fun. Working in the garage is quality Man-cave time so make the best of it!

You'll run into the 60k service (if the dealer didn't do something similar), which consists of changing/flushing all the fluids among other things. Fred beans in the vendor section, I believe, sells 60k service kits so that you can do it all in your driveway if you are so inclined to do so.

Also, I have an extended warranty through a 3rd party, but I can't tell you much about it since I have not had to make an warranty claims to know how well they'll handle things.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived