LegacyGT.com

have some issues not sure if its serious...

while driving at speeds above 30mph there is a rattle coming from underneath the car. it only makes noise when you are trying to keep a constant speed with light throttle, but under initial acceleration or speeding up there isnt any noise. i thought it may be the transmission being low on fluid or something so i put i checked it. it was low so i put some in. but in the process i found out i had zero fluid in the front diff. i took almost 2qts oil to get to the full line. after that driving home it made less of the noise but it was still there. now 3days later i am having some leakage from what looks like both sides of the front diff. it looks like right where the wheels rods go in to the whole transmission/diff thing(dont know what its called) but it appears that could be where the fluid is coming from. its a very light oily fluid not like regular oil. i cant really tell the color because its dirty down there and its bringing dirt with it and making it black. any ideas what could be cause the sounds and leaks?:confused:

There is an oil seal on each side of the diff. where the axles connect, which is similar to that in the seals of the engine. It holds the liquid in, up until they finally disintegrate. Over time and exposure to the elements these wear out. I'd say you had no fluid because one or both of those seals on either side of the differential have gone bad.

Two things I'd suggest replacing on each side, a large O ring and an oil seal. Probably no more than $30 for all 4.

Archived