LegacyGT.com

Flat Tire - Added Security to the resuce

Ok i know this is an AWD car but.... I got a flat tire today and I was praying it could be fixed (differ the $1000 for new tires). Took it to the shop no luck with a patch. So I start pricing Dunlop sp9000's (which i got for $211/tire alltires.com). So I had to order them of course b/c 215 45ZR 17 is a popular size and they only have 1. So I get home and check my Added Security Handbook to find that Coverage IV "Road Hazard Tire Protection" which protects the OEM tires for 50K miles against non-manufacturer's warranty, which obviously doesn't cover road hazard. Apparently they will "pay up to $150 for a repair or replacement based on remaing tire tread." Called the hotline and if your tred is greater the 8/32 u get 100% of the 150 (7/32 qualifies you for 75% and so on).

What I forgot to ask is if that covers all 4 tires? Because I need to repeat NEED to replace all 4 for 2 reasons. 1) To not damage the drive-train 2) Not void my Manuf.. Warranty and Added Security Warranty (part of keeping the car with in Manuf.. spec). So to me because I have to maintain Warranty status and all repairs must be in accordance with warranty guidelines all 4 tires is part of the repairing of the single flat.

Anyone have any additional input on the subject ? Will post updates. Oh yeah the road hazard is a reimbursement so regardless I have to pay for my 4 new Dunlops. I will also post my impression of the tires.

For the road hazard for your tires alone I would reccomend the Subaru Added security to anyone looking to buy a new subaru (tire Road Hazard was reinstated for 05 vehicles). It does mean that if an inspection of the vehicle is required most mods will void your warranty (if they are intalled at inspection time ;-) )

You're not going to convince Subaru to buy you 4 new tires just because you didn't want to buy another RE92. You won't void your warranty by buying one new tire and you won't break anything in the AWD system by doing the same.

You just experienced what's known as a Forced Upgrade Opportunity. They're expensive but rewarding.

And that is 1/4" circumference, not diameter. So it doesn't take much wear to go over the limit.

Wow! I haven't read the actual policy, but that seems almost impossible to maintain. 1/4" circumference would mean a difference of no more than ~1/12" diameter between any two tires on the car. Is that realistic?

You're not going to convince Subaru to buy you 4 new tires just because you didn't want to buy another RE92. You won't void your warranty by buying one new tire and you won't break anything in the AWD system by doing the same.

You just experienced what's known as a Forced Upgrade Opportunity. They're expensive but rewarding.

It would be "Cross Country Automotive Services" a sudo insurance company that handles the road side assistance and "Road Hazard Tire Protection" that comes with the car. Anyway the problem I think is the fact that the lawyers that wrote this agreement don't know much about AWD cars and were probably trying to generalize the coverage. Well generally speaking you do usually need to replace one tire, to bad this isn't a general car. This isn't just a subaru issue its a AWD issue Audi's, VW's, and some MBz's have all wheel drive also. How many times have you or head or someone who sat and read an owner's manual before buying a car ? You don't, know one does. Nor do the salesman say "oh yeah by the way if you get a flat..." I have 8400 miles on my car/tires so I don't think I am close to tire circumference or diameter on a new tire so that's out the window. Plus the fact that I choose to go with Dunlop 9k's doesn't matter it a comparable and actually better performing tire. To quote the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act "Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an after-market part unless they can prove that the after-market part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)" US code - title 15, Chapter 50, sections 2301-2312.

Think if it was an engine problem and because the engine needs to be replaced i need another part or 2. You better believe that those parts are being replaced along with the engine. Worse comes to worse I take CCAS to small claims court. Trust me no insurance company wants a bad faith lawsuit especially in Calif. where the consumer is usually more protected. I also noticed no addendum for CA nor a general provisions about the tires. They all reinforce the fact that the cars needs to remain the same as factory spec and be properly maintained. I have gone to the dealer for all my services ( and heard a lot of crap "you go to the deal ?!? Waste of money" I disagree) so I obviously have done all that's in my power to maintain the car properly. Any judge would understand my side and the lack of clarification on the Providers side.

Also on my Added Security Agreement there is a box for AWD/4WD so its obvious they want to take note of the vehicles' ability. If they realize the full ramifications is yet to be seen.

For some one with a non stock rim/tire with an increased diameter and width, would it just be best to try to get a fifth wheel to act as a full size spare or do you think I could find a spare that would work? With all the discussion about how small the allowed difference in wheel circumference is, I am kind of afraid of burning up a diff if i ever have to use the spare tire. I guess i could do one of those or just get AAA.

Archived