LegacyGT.com

weird cricket like sound from clutch

I just bought a 2005 LGT it has 68k on it and i am hearing a strange sound when i disengage the clutch. The closest sound i can compare it to is that of a cricket. It goes away as soon as i press the clutch in. Even when the clutch is barely being pressed on it goes away but as soon as i let off it comes right back. The dealer told me they just replaced the clutch and fly wheel so i would imagine they put a new throw out bearing in it too, but if it is the TOB I need to take it back while its still under warranty and get it fixed. Has anyone else had any issues with TOB's or heard of anything like this before?

Most likely a bad TOB. If you are under warantee dont give up until you have the dealer drop the trans and fix it! I didnt and the TOB tore up the trans case that it rides on right after the warantee was over. Cost $1200 to fix and machine a bronze bearing sleeve to fix the case. Works like new now.

My TOB made tons of noise and I just kept taking it to the dealer until it was fixed and this was after they installed a clutch when the trans was out to replace the turbo. I had it there probably five times in 10k miles for the clutch squeaking because they just kept cleaning and lubricating the TOB and the clutch fork because there was corrosion present. The problem persisted through them dropping the trans more than once and was not correct until my short block was replaced.

-Be persistent and polite and eventually they will fix it.

ok thanks im taking it in tomorrow and ill ask them to see the old tob before I leave I didnt know there was a way to make it quiet my warranty is only for three months buit maybe ill get it extended to six just to be on the safe side.

So they cant get my car in until next week but I talked to the mechanic today that put the new clutch and tob in 3 weeks before I bought the car and he said its still under warranty and if it needs replaced its not a problem but Im really starting to think its not even the tob. I noticed today that it doesnt always make the noise. Im just really anal about things like this and am somewhat annoyed because i cant figure out what it could be if its not the tob. I had a tob go in my integra and it was a completely different kind of sound, more of a clicking sound than a chirping sound. I guess Ill have to wait and see what the mechanic says it just doesnt make sense to me why a tob would only last a month if thats what it is.

Archived