LegacyGT.com

Help my son fried my head unit

eppley

I was carpet washing the back seat. when I was doing it my son grabbed the bottle of febreze and went nuts. soaked everything. Nothing works just the volume control. presets, am fm cd button, ac, rear defroster anything that is controled by a button nothing. What to do and where do i even begin to look for parts or anything that will get that working again. Its been a day and still hasnt dried out so i'm losing hope

Remove the HU from the dash. The front panel (with the displays, knobs, and buttons) is a separate piece that you can then unplug from the main body of the HU (requires removing additional screws, I'm pretty sure).

You may be able to open up the display portion to clean out the mess, but the prospect is not sounding good. Perhaps if you had done that right away, and rinsed it thoroughly with distilled water. But if the chemicals have started eating conductors... :icon_frow

I think Subaru sells the face as a repair part. I recall seeing a TSB telling dealers how to replace just that part instead of the entire HU.

Check with the online Subaru parts sellers -- their prices are better than dealers (though you'll have to pay and wait for it to be shipped). But with those prices in hand, you may get a local dealer to come close.

FYI: Without the HU, your A/C will continue running at its last settings. If it was off, it will stay off.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

If you do decide to replace the entire HU, you can swap in a 2007-2009 to gain aux in, MP3 CD capability, and compatibility with the OEM iPod and satellite accessories (and perhaps aftermarket ones, too).

well i got a few presets back still no am fm cd selector button the a/c button is working now so it seems like it is drying out. I hope tomorrow i'll get all the buttons back. I will be taking it apart tomorrow and try to clean it out we'll see what happens. I will be getting in touch with ya byron crisp if this dont work

i repair car audio, and spills used to be pretty common. the fix almost always is to take it COMPLETELY apart and rinse it in very hot water, then dry it with a hair dryer but do not get it so hot you cannot touch it. (that will be about 110 f) sometimes there are many small parts and delicate cables, so i don't reccomend this for someone without a lot of common sense or used to this sort of thing.

Archived