LegacyGT.com

Obp N00b!

This OBP LGT is the first car I've owned of this color or darkness. With all my previous cars, it was wash....dry off & done!

With this one, I want everything to come out right without fu*#'n nothing up.

I've been reading up on quite a few tips for detailing and I've taken note of quite a few things.

I'm in the process of locating the proper washing utensils (mit).

I do have a question though. The guy at the dealership (salesman) who detailed the car (if you can call it that) before I picked it up applied something to certain parts (not all) of the paint.

Now....after I simply wash & rinse the car (no wipe down), you can tell because there are areas of the car with this..... film of something on the paint that just washing won't get rid of. I'll try and get some photos up of it if I can, but otherwise.... that's the best way I can describe it.

So.....once I've purchased the proper stuff like the mit, the proper wash liquid... the proper chamois (absorber), wax & teflon application, IF the wash mit doesn't remove this film....what's the best way of getting this sh*t off of my paint without messing it up?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Are you talking about that white plastic they use? If so....you think it could be the left over adhesive?

I've never had to buff a car before. I'm hoping this won't be a learn by mistake issue.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Where is the film located? If it is on the hood, then yes it could be leftover adhesive. You should have requested them not to do anything type of prepping on the vehicle, both exterior or interior.

My suggestion for you is to do a complete exterior detail on your car. The usual process for this is:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Polish

Sealant or Wax

For most car care accessories you can got to Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, etc for the things you will need.

you don't need to wash after claying, just rinse. and clay won't help much on a new car. if you run your hand over the paint and feel it catching or bumps, then clay will do something, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

You could try claying it and see if that works, but I doubt it will help an awful lot. What you need is a good paint cleaner. www.premiumautocare.com is a vendor here and has a link in the vendor forum where you can get 10% off your order. There are a couple great paint care kits that include a paint cleaner and sealant. I can pretty much guarantee you that those products will take care of any film left over from what the dealership didn't get off.

When they take those sheets off the car there are certian products they use to wash the adhesive off. These products are industrial strength and not normally available to average consumers, but you can order them through different places. Since its something that usually only dealerships do they are products that are usually only sold to detail shops and dealerships. www.autoint.com is one place where you can purchase these new car prep products. I'm a registered detailer with them and have been using their products for years to clean up new cars. The film you are seeing is just haze from some of the treatments they do to the paint. A paint cleaner will usually clean that stuff right up.

Sorry for the new car prep lesson. :D When I picked up my car I told them to take the plastic off and then give me the keys. I've got the stuff I need to remove the adhesive and I didn't want the hack "Detailers" at the dealership to mess anything up. Most dealership detailers are $8 an hour kind of employees. Even a friend of mine who was a detailer for Porsche only made $9 an hour. I've never ever let a dealership even wash one of my cars let alone detail it. They will screw it up and they will not be able to fix it properly. If they knew how to fix it then they wouldn't have caused the damage to begin with.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanx for all the info & advice guys. The film is on the top of the car, not the hood. It's rather annoying too. After I wash it & let it dry (haven't gotten the guts to wipe it dry yet), that film catches dust & dirt REALLY easy.

Archived