LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy supercharger

I have been researching the trans more, apparently large amounts of power doesn't kill it, heat does. If I throw a trans cooler on their I should be fine.

This project is starting to come together... WHEN YOU GONNA ORDER AND START THAT BUILD THREAD?

You know you wanna. You know you dad wants to. Don't listen to the haters - I think it is cool to have a sleeper and even better when you build it with your dad. Very cool. Will be the kind of thing you enjoy even beyond the Leggy.

I am looking forward to your build. I wish you guys were local!

Definitely go with an auxilary cooler for the trans B and M makes a decent one for around $70 for vehicles up to 10k lbs. Make sure to plumb it between the trans output and radiator input so it doesn't keep the tranny fluid too cool.

Not to start a flame war or anything just want to know, wouldn't he need a new ecu or piggy back to run the supercharger anyway I can understand the difference in wiring but that is also dependent on the year of the sti donor. IMO it is crazy expensive to do any of the power upgrades but if I was gonna drop $3-4k on any poweradder I would want a motor built for it.

not exactly sure where a flame war would be brought in (i'm not that kind of guy, people have questions that need answered *shrug*)...but as stated before, there is a piggy back included with the kit...i personnaly don't like piggy backs, and would want to use a tuned ecu...now i have zero experience with subaru ecu's at all, just know that the sti engine has a few extra electronic goodies (such as computer controlled waste gate, etc...) that i'm not so sure a 2.5i ecu can control (could be wrong here)...where as with a bolt on supercharger doesn't have the need for all extra electronic crap, and the stock ecu should be able to be tuned for such a setup (this is based on experience with honda's, and i know subaru is not honda, but it is what i have to go on)

not exactly sure where a flame war would be brought in (i'm not that kind of guy, people have questions that need answered *shrug*)...but as stated before, there is a piggy back included with the kit...i personnaly don't like piggy backs, and would want to use a tuned ecu...now i have zero experience with subaru ecu's at all, just know that the sti engine has a few extra electronic goodies (such as computer controlled waste gate, etc...) that i'm not so sure a 2.5i ecu can control (could be wrong here)...where as with a bolt on supercharger doesn't have the need for all extra electronic crap, and the stock ecu should be able to be tuned for such a setup (this is based on experience with honda's, and i know subaru is not honda, but it is what i have to go on)

Not every subaru has the ability to be custom tuned, so piggyback controllers are the only option in some situations. There are a fair amount of models, and not everyone is defined. Even the 2005 2.5i isn't defined and that pretty recent, so no custom tune for it. So as much as a custom tune would be nice, its not an option for every subaru that the supercharger could be applied to. Maybe the imprezas could get one, but yea not everyone can.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I haven't updated this thread in a while. Been busy with school!

Anyway, I have narrowed it down to three different purchases:

2005+ Frontier Crew Cab (perhaps a NISMO?)

Impreza WRX Wagon (probably not going to happen, but because it's a wagon it might slip through my dad's screening)

Beef up my Subie

I'm going to see what's for sale when I get back home for the summer and go from there. I won't be home until the 29th, so there is still a long time before a decision is made.

If I do my Subaru, here's what I'll be doing to it:

- Supercharger

- Lightweight pulleys

- Full exhaust with cat delete ( i'll probably also just do a single exhaust. NOT getting a fart cannon, that shit's retarded)

- Throttle body spacer

- Intake manifold spacer

- Trans cooler

Any other suggestions?

What sucks is that all the car enthusiasts are going to give me flak for not having a manual.

I'd also get it painted black and buy some 16" rims that are stylish but don't draw too much attention. I might add a Legacy GT spoiler - unsure.

I believe this could push 200whp, but honestly have no idea. Could anyone give an estimate? What sucks is the closest AWD dyno is in Detroit, 2+ hours away =/

I like the Frontier. Nothing quite like having a VQ40DE engine. That engine responds very well to modding and comes with 260hp from the factory. The fuel economy isn't that bad either for a truck.

I would still like to see a supercharged Scooby.

2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed

2002 Impreza 2.5TS - EJ251 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

I like the Frontier. Nothing quite like having a VQ40DE engine. That engine responds very well to modding and comes with 260hp from the factory. The fuel economy isn't that bad either for a truck.

I would still like to see a supercharged Scooby.

Honestly I'm torn between both, Frontier's are great trucks and have great power for their size IMO. Also, you can't get more practical than a four door truck (in my opinion).

The Frontier has the practical factor; the SC Subaru has the bling/awesome factor.

The Frontier has the practical factor; the SC Subaru has the bling/awesome factor.

A SC Subaru is NOT blingy :lol: A SC Frontier can be insane - PM MSprank as he had one that was wicked. Burn the rubber of mudders down the street. Floor it and you see sky.

Either way, I'll check on this thread again when you decide SUBARU. Otherwise, I imagine you will be posting in a Nissan forum shortly:p

A SC Subaru is NOT blingy :lol: A SC Frontier can be insane - PM MSprank as he had one that was wicked. Burn the rubber of mudders down the street. Floor it and you see sky.

Either way, I'll check on this thread again when you decide SUBARU. Otherwise, I imagine you will be posting in a Nissan forum shortly:p

By "bling" i meant 'show factor.' Not ghetto bling.

If I get a Frontier it will remain mostly stock, except for maybe exhaust/intake. No big mods on it.

• 7 months later...

Archived