LegacyGT.com

Cold Air Intake Recomendation

I think his point is that if Subaru endorses it, it should be a worthwhile mod. But, since the SPT intake is useless below stage 2, it should be assumed that any CAI is useless until you're at stage 2+. At least that's the point that I took from it.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Stock flows as well as any intake up to 300 g/s. If you are looking for performance gains, don't waste your time until you go stage 3. If you just want some sound, and a different look under the hood, knock yourself out. Except for the SPT (which is a dog imho) I would still not run a CAI w/o a tune, even if others say they have done it w/o problems.

Also, stick with OEM.

When you install an intake you will hear the BPV vent into the intake but if you just need (want) that sound, get a 50/50 (hybrid) like the GFB.

What about the HKS SSQV? That wouldn't be harmful to a stock LGT; or maybe an LGT with a couple of small mods, such as manual boost controller and up-pipe?

There we go! I thought the sarcasm was obvious............

The sarcasm was abundantly obvious, but you missed the mark on execution. It reads that my post was incorrect, and because it's a Subaru part it's the best option . . . which was apparently the opposite of what you were trying to say. :redface:

What about the HKS SSQV? That wouldn't be harmful to a stock LGT; or maybe an LGT with a couple of small mods, such as manual boost controller and up-pipe?

If the whole point is making noise, that would definitely accomplish the task. I suggest listening to some youtube clips of it first though. Many find the high-pitch shriek of the SSQV just annoying to listen to.

I thought the CAI upgrade would be beneficial to the gas mileage? (I didn't notice a difference) Or is that an aftermarket blowoff valve?? (definitely no mileage gain to be had)

Having the car tuned, however, will most definitely yield improved gas mileage. I picked up ~5-6mpg highway adding a catted downpipe and pro-tune.

Having the car tuned will most definitely yield improved gas mileage. I picked up ~5-6mpg highway adding a catted downpipe and pro-tune.

^ what he said. It is well documented that improving exhaust flow will increase gas mileage. A less restrictive cat on the downpipe with the proper tune will add a few mpg. So if you're looking for better gas mileage this would be the place to start, not a CAI. And you can do the whole thing for about $600 if you look for the right deal ($400 for a dp, $150 for a tune, and $50 for the cables to opensource it if you choose do do an etune as opposed to dyno)

It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived