LegacyGT.com

Auto-X & helmet clearance

Claw

I'd like to give autocrossing a try.. problem is, at 6'4" I'm fitting in my LGT Limited with maybe an inch between the top of my head and the headliner.

I've tried the gangsta lean, it's not exactly comfortable for day-to-day driving, so I'm sure it'll be even less comfortable in race.

Other than opening the sunroof and leaning towards the middle, is there anything else I can do? Can I lower the seat much? I'd rather not spend so much $$$.

I'm 6'3" and it's tight, but I can get in with a helmet. I do need to lean the seat back slightly and lower it though.

When you're racing, you'll want to have the seat up closer the the wheel than you normally would, so the lowered and leaned back seat isn't as bad

Unless it'e NASCAR, it makes more sense to sit further from the wheel. Ever see any pics of F1 drivers back in the day when you could actually see the drivers?

That's not what they teach locally. It's really up to preference, but I find sitting closer helps with pedal reach, shifter reach and steering control. I'm not talking about sitting right on top of the steering wheel, just slightly closer than you would daily driving.

Guess I'm just old school. Seriously, though, check out some old pictures of Stirling Moss driving a Lotus or Cooper F1 car. The NASCAR drivers sit close to the wheel so they can use their shoulders while constantly turning left for 500 miles. The advantage of sitting back is that it prevents your arms from getting tangled up should serious wheel twirling become necessary. I'd almost be willing to bet that some NASCAR drivers sit back a bit when they run on road courses.

I replaced my stock driver's seat with a relatively inexpensive Corbeau Forza riding on a custom seat bracket that Corbeau can provide. It dropped me about 6 inches, which is actually a bit too much. Also, before you buy an aftermarket seat, review some of the threads on the subject. I've got permanently on air bag lights, but I'm not sure if that's from replacing the driver's seat or the passenger seat (which, of course) has the built-in weight sensor. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here...6'4''. Last auto-x I had the seat leaned back slightly more than usual and I just slightly leaned to the right. Never hit the roof or sunroof as far as I remember and it didn't seem uncomfortable at all. But I was just having fun and not worrying about being competitive. It'll be a while before I'm good enough that the perfect driving position will make a difference for me.

But I will dream...

Archived