LegacyGT.com

want a 6 cyl manual legacy wagon, how to get there

first off, i know this is stupid. the exact end result is probably a pipe dream, but it's a good goal.

so i've come to the conclusion that i want a wagon with a 3.0 and a manual transmission that handles well (so a legacy suspension at least). i'm fine with major modifications, and would probably do some upgrades to the suspension at least. some bilstein shock and swaybars are likely.

i was originally thinking of getting an '05 manual wagon and swapping a 3.0 into it when i get around to it. most of the rest of the car is ready to go, but swapping the engine would probably be the most work.

the other option i thought of is getting a 3.0R outback wagon, swap in a manual and legacy suspension. i would eventually be swapping/replacing the suspension anyway, and a tranny swap is likely easier than an engine swap. but i don't like the outback style otherwise, wood interior, two tone, higher roof rack, body cladding (though the single tone cladded exterior could be cool, fender flare style). the selection of cars is much bigger and newer also.

any other options? how crazy am i?

Best way to go about this is to get a 3.0R and get a manual trans. I'm not sure how well the 2.5GT trans will be or an STI trans so I would look at getting a custom trans. The big problem is have the ECU programmed to take a manual trans.

i'm thinking that too. the reinforced 5spd from the GT should be strong enough. the GT has 250hp also and some are running more power, though haven't seen or looked for details on the limit of the stock trans. i'd probably add some power, but not anything serious.

a front LSD is on the list too, but that would probably be as easy when doing an engine swap as a tranny swap. and while expensive, a 6 speed would be my first choice. an STi would certainly hold the power and already have the LSD.

how integrated is the transmission in the ECU? not too familiar with subie ECU options but a COBB or reflashable ECU should be able to do it. or just some creative use of electronics to make the ECU think there's an auto.

the GT w/3.0 route, i could call it a GT-R :lol:

Check out the NASIOC swap threads. There are a lot more people over there that have done tranny and engine swaps than there are here, so they might be able to tell you more about ECU integration and things like that.
It's cool; I'm with the band

that's a good idea. that's exactly the car i want. and it's possibly doable. i might get stationed in germany next (that's the only place that will get me to leave colorado) and i can ship one car over and back. it would be hard to not bring a '98 M3 sedan back though, i've wanted one for a long time.

i could likely get one and get it back here, but getting it registered here would be a challenge. correct me if i'm wrong, but the engine and body are the same as USDM, so the major hurdles are ok. but there's other random stuff, the headlights, mirrors, etc. that would have to be swapped for DOT spec'd stuff.

Archived