LegacyGT.com

Leaking shock absorbers - many thanks in advance

lyh_chnxm

Hi guys

I went to change oil yesterday and mechanic told me that rear left shock is leaking. He said both left and right for the rear shocks need to be replaced. Since I am a student and don't have that much money in pocket, i want to keep it under $200(exclude labour) here is my thoughts:

2X KYB GR2 341353 rear shocks $94

But can I still keep old OEM for front shocks or i need to replace them also? My car is 05 2.5i.

GR2s are a good replacement for stock struts... good, basic parts.

You can keep the fronts for now, but chances are they may need to be replaced soon as well. Leaking is a sure sign of failure, but you shouldn't have to wait until then to replace them... they can wear out without leaking.

Again, you'll be fine with the fronts for now - save up to replace them soon.

GR2s are a good replacement for stock struts... good, basic parts.

You can keep the fronts for now, but chances are they may need to be replaced soon as well. Leaking is a sure sign of failure, but you shouldn't have to wait until then to replace them... they can wear out without leaking.

Again, you'll be fine with the fronts for now - save up to replace them soon.

Thanks so much! I have one more dumb question, will I get into trounble if I buy the rallitek springs but only change the rear shocks and rear springs? If it does't work, i will only change the shock and keep the stock spring for next few years:icon_frow

what website did you find those stuts at. Im goin to be in the market soon too.

Since i only drive it to school and work, I am not going to buy some shocks which is around $120 for rear and $200 for front. It is way too expensive. I heard KYB is good for OEM replacement and they are inexpensive, i think they will meet my needs.

amazon.com

one of their seller is selling rear for $47 each and front is $51 include shipping

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001FFADX8/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1ATZ3MAARQNEF&v=glance]Amazon.com: KYB 341353 GR-2 Shock Absorber: Just Suspension[/ame]

i believe LGT and 2.5i use the same shocks and struts, if you are not sure

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/#

you can check the part number for KYB

Front Left:339096

Front Right:339097

Rear Left/Right: 341353

http://subiwiki.com/wiki/index.php/BL_%282005-2009%29#Handling_Modifications tells me that the Ralliteks are stiffer, lower, and progressive... versus the stockers. For this reason, I'd say GR2s won't be ideal for that setup. The GR2s would likely tolerate it a bit better, but it's not the proper setup, so you may get a bouncy "ghetto" type ride, along with increased harshness.

Eibachs (now MSI-branded) and Tein H-techs are the only aftermarket springs I have heard of that match the stock dampers "close enough"... and you can see why based on the spring rates shown there.

Archived