LegacyGT.com

Blown Transmission

so on my 2006 LGT the trans randomly took a heaping dump today. not my fondest of situations as i was on my way to work. i was however rather shocked that without any kind of warning. 3rd 4th 5th and reverse all refused to engage with at any speed car running or not and first and second were a royal pain in the behind. anyone else ever randomly experience this issue? its currently sitting at a dealer i dont really know how much its gonna cost to fix though

so on my 2006 LGT the trans randomly took a heaping dump today. not my fondest of situations as i was on my way to work. i was however rather shocked that without any kind of warning. 3rd 4th 5th and reverse all refused to engage with at any speed car running or not and first and second were a royal pain in the behind. anyone else ever randomly experience this issue? its currently sitting at a dealer i dont really know how much its gonna cost to fix though

How many miles? Are you original owner? Have you ever changed fluid? Checked fluid?

How many miles? Are you original owner? Have you ever changed fluid? Checked fluid?

2nd owner. 82xxx miles and no. im the second owner. the previous owner kept a maintenance log of all the service work done on the car. the transmission and front diff(not sure if are the same) have been flushed before. as for replacing the trans i sourced a used unit in RI for 1200. thankfully the cars still under its warranty period. i JUST bought the car less than a month ago. im not paying for a transmission to be put in it.

i am however wondering what on earth would cause a transmission to lose all of its gears instantly like that. seems kind of strange that out of the blue everything stops functioning

update from the dealer. the linkage and oil were both fine. their tearing it down right now to find out what the issue is. they dont suspect a broken gear yet think the issue is very strange

Weird...Keep us updated though. Thank God for warranties, huh?

well. i just got royally boned. the dealer i bought my car from in CT decided their not covering the extent of the repairs (i live in MI and cant drive the car 800 miles for THEM to look at it) any ways. so the damage. blown center differential. apparently part of my center differential blew apart and got jammed in the shift rails stopping the sliders from moving the forks. etc etc. they said the gears and synchros looked exceptionally well and may have been replaced previously. total cost? 2057 to replace the center differential. a job had i known id get boned on id do my self

well. i just got royally boned. the dealer i bought my car from in CT decided their not covering the extent of the repairs (i live in MI and cant drive the car 800 miles for THEM to look at it) any ways. so the damage. blown center differential. apparently part of my center differential blew apart and got jammed in the shift rails stopping the sliders from moving the forks. etc etc. they said the gears and synchros looked exceptionally well and may have been replaced previously. total cost? 2057 to replace the center differential. a job had i known id get boned on id do my self

Were you just hoping they would cover it? Or did you actually have a warranty?

If you were just hoping...then check the states lemon law requirements. Some have laws regarding used cars as well.

Were you just hoping they would cover it? Or did you actually have a warranty?

If you were just hoping...then check the states lemon law requirements. Some have laws regarding used cars as well.

it is covered under an initial warranty. theyre supposed to cover the car for 60days/3000 miles. they acknowledged the warranty but told me because i didnt bring it to their shop i was SOL. i called and spoke to the salesman again today. he agreed that they were being a bit out of whack expecting me to ship the car 800 miles for something stupid like this. as for the trans i saw it today. the gears and synchros look almost brand new. the diff was shot to hell. a piece of it had broken off and gotten jammed in the rails..how i drove it home i dont even know

Archived