LegacyGT.com

Fixing Paint Chips

I know this has been covered in several threads, but I still have some unanswered questions.

I had one pretty bad chip on my hood that I got only a couple days after getting the car (of course!). I stopped by my dealer's body shop and they were kind enough to apply some touch-up paint and clear-coat to the chip, then polish and glaze. There's still quite an ugly blob, but that's to be expected.

I am thinking about applying some Langka to the blob, and if it works well, then I'll attack the other chips. The shop gave me the touch-up paint, some clear-coat, and a super-fine horsehair brush. Question is, do I reapply the clearcoat after using langka? Won't that create yet another blob?

I would stay away from that turtlewax stuff. I applied that on my dark gray Maxima over a year ago, hoping it would get ride of some minor slight scratches. It left a gritty residue on my car that I still can feel, even after washing it dozens of times and applying many coats of wax.

Just my experience, but I'd never use it again or recommend it to anyone! It didn't help much with the scratches either.

Clear coat isn't something that I would 'brush' on a car. Usually when you are dealing with a chip is is ok to just touch it up with paint and be done. It won't look like it was never there or anything, but it will be better than the chip. Langka has a little bit of a learning curve to it, but you'll figure it out. Its the easiest way to level out that blob and make it look beter. Unless you are going to break out the sand paper and spend some time doing it right I think the blob and Langka solution is probably the easiest way to do it. Sometimes when you try to fix a little chip you end up with a three inch problem that needs air brushing. lol Trust me on that one.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived