LegacyGT.com

Swapped turbo - have some issues

Long story short, my turbo blew on my 06 LGT.

I got one with low mileage from a fellow forum member who had upgraded his LGT.

Now I finally got that sucker on after many issues and it seems I'm burning coolant.

I'm sure I spilled some on the engine and also tonight I took off the intercooler and found the lower coolant hose to the turbo could be put on better.

Even after fixing that, though, I'm throwing lots of smoke and not just off the block.

I'm spewing smoke from the exhaust. Its not a burning oil smell, its a burning coolant smell.

I'm looking for advice here.

Oh, on a separate note, I know I got an exhaust leak (maybe down pipe to turbo or downpipe to exhaust pipe) cause I got quite a growl. Dont mind that and dont think its related but just wanted to put it out there.

I'm hoping I just missed something small (fingers crossed)

Ideas?

Long story short, my turbo blew on my 06 LGT.

I got one with low mileage from a fellow forum member who had upgraded his LGT.

Now I finally got that sucker on after many issues and it seems I'm burning coolant.

I'm sure I spilled some on the engine and also tonight I took off the intercooler and found the lower coolant hose to the turbo could be put on better.

Even after fixing that, though, I'm throwing lots of smoke and not just off the block.

I'm spewing smoke from the exhaust. Its not a burning oil smell, its a burning coolant smell.

I'm looking for advice here.

Oh, on a separate note, I know I got an exhaust leak (maybe down pipe to turbo or downpipe to exhaust pipe) cause I got quite a growl. Dont mind that and dont think its related but just wanted to put it out there.

I'm hoping I just missed something small (fingers crossed)

Ideas?

How did your turbo blow? I just got a CEL light for P0011 and someone was saying I should get prepped for turbo replacement...why are they blowing so early?!

In the oil supply line there is a bolt with a screen in it. This is called the banjo bolt.

If you don't change your oil religously, (I confess, I did not) these screens can get clogged, turbo gets oil starved, bearings go. Time for new turbo...

Then you find yourself reading this excellent thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-un-install-howto-pics-53391p2.html?t=53391&page=2

It may just be the pics but the exhaust side of the turbo you bought doesn't appear to be the cleanest. I've got a blown VF40 here and it doesn't have any of the gunk/buildup like that one has near the wastegate flapper and on the exhaust wheel itself.

So, I'm blowin white smoke which would be coolant as opposed to oil.

What would cause that?

Does it sound like I potentially got a bad turbo and should be replacing with new or is it possible I just did something wrong hooking it up ?

on a similar note when i put on my vf34 on my wrx i spilled coolant every where! when i turned on the car to let it run to seal the gasket it smelled just like yours. it took a day or 2 for me to be convinced i was not burning coolant. another thign i went a little crazy on the grey anti sieze stuff and that smoked like a hippie till it went away. did that help?

Archived