LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo??

Hello everyone.

My name is Mike and I have spent a decent amount of time in the past two days reading posts and the awesome information you all share. I am grateful there is a place to go for better information than I might get from my local dealer. My vehicle has 53k miles, using synthetic oil, and is well maintained.

Question is:

The blown turbo issue is most likely my problem based on what others have described in terms of sound under the hood and loss of power. Mine seems to have blown yesterday and I was unclear as to what the awful screaming banshee noise was under the hood as well as the loss of power. It was moving along albeit slowly until I gave it a bit of gas. Revving it to see if I could get some power up the hill as I was almost to my driveway the power seemed to come back online but so did that awful sound when i stepped on the gas. The sound does not happen at idle, only when I reallly step on it and the turbo starts to whine.

After letting the car cool down, I removed the engine cover, intercooler, and heat shield, when I discover one of the main bolts that holds the turbo onto the downpipe had been sitting under the heatshieid without a nut, apparently came loose and dropped off at some point. I can't imagine this one bolt creating a failure or making the kind of noise I heard, but one never knows.

1780182775_LGTBolt.thumb.jpg.cc52cef48df58e0e50f6692b0394e7d4.jpg

I was hoping I could get some feedback from anyone that has a solid feel for these types of failures and what recommendations you have for a replacement. With that said, I wouldn't mind a newer turbocharger and am reading that removing the banjo bolt filter might be a good idea.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Mike

the noise in your case might be an exhaust leak..

get a bolt and nut to fix that issue you have in the picture and go from there.

if you are replacing your turbo, you'd be better off getting a vf46 as opposed to a vf40.similar yet a little different. it just depends on what you want later on. i'm not sure if you plan for something bigger...but whatever road you go. make sure you get the parts you want to end with as opposed to upgrading and upgrading again

A turbo to downpipe bolt won't cause a loss in power. An upipe to turbo bolt could though as you'd potentially have less air going through the turbine. From turbo to downpipe though it won't make a difference; you could even run without a downpipe if you really wanted to.

The noise, however, could definitely be caused by the lack of that bolt. The lack of power, would not be though

I would agree with the above post, the exhaust leak from the nut/bolt on the DP won't amount to such a great loss in power. Check all hoses for leaks . Check the small hose to the BOV and all manifold hoses . I had an issue where I thought the turbo was toast but it ended up being two hoses mentioned above.

Look into the Bryan BNR thread at his turbo options if indeed blown. I think he has the best prices and options (Although a waiting list as well)

I finally took the turbo out of the car today.

GEDC0653.thumb.jpg.45aaae74af73275fd7889aa7a998f886.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped, sent ideas, and provided assistance. I decided to go with a new vf-46 along with the install kit. Jeremy Sassaman from Fred Beans was great and provided a great deal. There were other options to consider but going with a vf-46 from the 07-09 spec. B instead of the same vf-40 unit made the most sense to me. Looking forward to the new install this Fri/Sat!!

Mike

Archived