LegacyGT.com

4EAT shift lag

BravoZero

I know there are some threads about the auto transmission shifting lag, has there been any cures for this? The lag is ridiculous, my last vehicle was an Eclipse GT in auto and I could race the hell out of it, shifted when I wanted it to and was very sharp when it did shift. Seems like in the Legacy, grandma is sitting in the transmission lining up the gears and shifting when you tell her to.

I've also noticed the hesitation on launch, I could give it about half throttle and it takes a second for it to actually move anywhere. Also, when I'm driving on a flat road and I start to go up a small hill, and I give it MAYBE 10% more throttle, it kicks back an entire gear to compensate, which shouldn't happen. Maybe I should try resetting the ECU and have it relearn my driving style?

Resetting the ECU will not do much since the shifting behavior is stored by the TCU, which can only be reset by the dealer using the Subaru Select tool.

There is nothing you can do about making the shifts occur quicker from the moment you tell it to shift until the moment it actually engages the gear. The shifts will occur quicker at WOT. You can FIRM up the shifts if you get a modded valve body.

If you are on a stock car, moreso a naturally aspirated Legacy, then a modified valve body will most likely be a waste of money. It is generally done in order to increase the capacity of the transmission to be able to hold more power. The valve body controls the shifting by routing transmission fluid. By modifying the elements, the gears can engage with more force/firmer. Think of it as dropping the clutch on a manual car vs feathering it for comfort. If you are stepping on it, you definitely don't want to be feathering the clutch between shifts. As a result of the mod, your clutchpacks will last a lot longer. Most users here choose Import Performance Transmission, it is a really common mod for those with turbo cars that start modding. The cost, labor, shipping and all, is right around $1200 last I checked. It cost me little over $1200.

Hunting for gears is also a direct result of the gearing ratios. It is hard to compare to the feel and behavior of other cars because of this. Obviously the less gears, the longer they are going to be and as such more hunting for gears than, say a 5 or 6 speed.

Giving it half throttle before the car moves is a result of the high stall torque converter. Again, you would need to modify this to your needs to improve the driving, another expense right around $1000 shipping and all.

Archived