LegacyGT.com

Water leaking on rear seat...any ideas?

kram

For the past two days it has been non-stop rain here in Jersey. Got in my car yesterday to find this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/kramonut/05%20Legacy%20GT/Backseat.jpg

Not sure what happened, or exactly where the water is coming from. In all the rainstorms & the 70" of snow we had this year, there was never a drop on the back seat. I removed my rack recently, but the molding looks fine at the top of the window. I see no drips from the roof or rear glass. I feel water between the seat & side molding...but can't figure out how it's getting there. :confused: Not looking forward to the mildew smell.. :soap_box:

The car was locked/alarmed overnight as well...so don't think anybody was messing with it.

Any ideas?

I've got a very similar issue, except the water is on the passengers floor and under the seat. What I'm going to do is tear out my back interior (clean it all up too while i'm there) and have my girlfriend keep the hose on my car while I'm on the inside to see where it's coming from.

I recently had a new rear windshield put in so they might not have sealed it properly.

I've got a very similar issue, except the water is on the passengers floor and under the seat. What I'm going to do is tear out my back interior (clean it all up too while i'm there) and have my girlfriend keep the hose on my car while I'm on the inside to see where it's coming from.

Ah! I knew I couldn't be the only one! Thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna try & do the same. When I pushed the seat away from the molding it was pretty wet, so I'm gonna pull the rear seat & run the hose to try & find where it comes in the car.

Let me know how you make out.

From what I saw (backseat is now in my backyard in the sun) is that the fabric wasn't soaking, but once I pulled my backseat off (super simple, just yank at the front until it lets go) the foam could be easily squeeze to let water out.

Doing some research, there are little channels all around the car to let water flow out, and if any of them are clogged, blocked, or damaged, it would cause water in all the wrong spots.

Mine was a bit weird, because if it was a rear window seal, there is a good chance water would be in the trunk as well. Not even damp in the trunk. Maybe tonight I'll tear it down some and take a look.

Keep us posted on what you find as well!

Archived