LegacyGT.com

Painting my rims

dannyb59

Quick question, looking for some advice... I am going the cheep way, going to spray paint my rims black. I was wondering what comes out better/last longer; black gloss, black semi gloss, or no gloss? What have people tried and what comes out better? Thanks

-DB

Doesn't matter what finish you use. It is ALL about the prep and how you paint them. If you take your time, sand them well, make sure they are clean and use a good primer and clear coat they will last a long time.

Another tip I have if you plan on doing the gloss black. Many people have called me crazy for it, but try this. Fill your kitchen sink up with hot water. Not boiling or anything. Just as hot as the tap gets. Let the spray cans sit in the water for 10-15 mins. The paint comes out incredibly smooth and the finish looks great. Other than that. Patience is the key. Take your time with prep work especially, but also take your time with the paint process. It makes all the difference.

+1 for the warm water.

Prep is the biggest thing. If you do a crappy job, than the paint will just peel off.

Also, use one of these:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-962079dt.jpg

Makes it so much easier to control the can, plus your finger doesn't get tired as fast.

Archived