LegacyGT.com

NEWBS... hi

Hello Legacy forums,

My name is Kevin B. and my GF has a 06' Legacy. I am a OG member on VWvortex.com, live and drive VW's! but i have a soft spot for Subies!

brief history.. Me and some friends moved to Big Bear Lake CA in 2003 to go snowboarding for a full season. we took my 96' VR6 GTI, and my friends 01' 2.5RS. my VW (and almost me :( ) was lost in a nasty accident with a Hit N Run, 65 year old Drunk!

So, we were down to one car! Our two other friends were morons and dont drive. Lee and I shared the RS for 2 months! This is the car that convinced me that Subaru's Symetrical AWD is king of the road! And it is!

Fast forward 6 years, My GF Alison needed a new car. Her Expedition was eating up every dime she had, being a single mom she needed that money for other expenses! We took a trip to the VW/ Subaru dealer i worked for and saw my old friend who is the sales manager!

we got 4 G's for the dumb truck! and picked up a 2006 Legacy (special edition, nothing really special about it though). The car was owned by a salesman at the dealership. 45k, all service was done at the dealer too!

picked it up for 12,500.

that was a year ago, it just hit 60k (doing the service this week!)

Well there it is in a nut shell! i tried asking Legacy related question in the Car Lounge at VWVORTEX, but they just get lost really quick!

Here is the car at Limerock Park this past summer!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs105.snc1/4781_1017526536506_1775422589_31902_8051579_n.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin B.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your VW! That's really a shame. I get so heated every time I hear a drunk driving story! At least you're okay though!

I miss my MKV GTI.... a lot. I guess you could say I'm the resident VW fanboy on here:lol:. I can't wait to be back in the seat of a Euro vehicle after this.

Did she get a 4EAT or 5MT?

Her Expedition was eating up every dime she had, being a single mom she needed that money for other expenses!

I don't mean to be "that guy," but wouldn't it still have been cheaper to keep the Expedition than buy a $12,500 car? Or was the Expedition not paid off?

Regardless, welcome to the forums. We'll be able to help you with her legacy a lot more than the vortexers. :lol:

I don't mean to be "that guy," but wouldn't it still have been cheaper to keep the Expedition than buy a $12,500 car? Or was the Expedition not paid off?

Regardless, welcome to the forums. We'll be able to help you with her legacy a lot more than the vortexers. :lol:

There was still a few $$ left on the truck. it had 100k. The tranny was starting to slip. $100 a week in gas. The payments on the legacy and insurance are cheaper then the gas bill alone.

It just made sense to get rid of it before she was married to it. Plus she had a huge tax return last year.

NEW WHEELS!

18x8 Rota Tarmac 3 in charcoal. We got them from wheeldude.com. Great site, great prices!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs073.snc3/14092_1101025503928_1775422589_190955_4282641_n.jpg

We are not going to change the springs. The car is getting a new set of KYB GR2's. Just trying to decide on a tire size.

225/40/18. really dont want to run this size, so thats pretty much out!

235/40/18. my choice right now!

235/45/18. Would really like to run this, but not sure if its to big?

going to play around with http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

225/40-18 is what I'd recommend to get your speedometer as close to OEM. It's pretty much OEM fitment.

235/45 will have a little too much sidewall and might look weird. 235/40 will give you the width you want while hardly affecting the height.

im def not doing the 225's. i have an 18x8 FLIK in my garage right now with a 225/40/18 on it and its def not the tire for this car. its a mom mobile!

the 235/40 is 25.4" tall w/ a 3.7" sidewall

the 235/45 is 26.2" tall w/ a 4.2" sidewall

if the 45 will fit with out an issue then were gonna do that. mainly for rim protection and ride comforting.

the stock tire has an overall diameter of 25.9" i believe!

will the 235's be to wide? maybe a 225/45

i have an 18x8 FLIK in my garage right now with a 225/40/18 on it and its def not the tire for this car. its a mom mobile!

Maybe you should reconsider putting 18's on it then :lol:

Jussayin, it might look a little goofy with a 235/45 on it. It may also contact the strut, but I'm not positive on that. I know I don't have a lot of strut clearance with my 225/40's, and they match the OEM diameter almost perfect.

Ohhh, and i didnt switch to Subies. I will always own Dubs! I just like subies too, and it was the smart choice for my GF at the time to get this Legacy!

A few of my friends drive subies. 04' STI, 95' impreza L with a JDM swap, 01' RS with a JDM 2.5 STI motor..

I personally would like to get my hands on a pre 04 Legacy wagon!

i think if the offset is right you can get 19"s in there with out issue. i would think 20"s would need some adjusting. i put a set of 18" wheels on the car for summers and can feel the extra rotational mass from them when i shift. bigger wheels usually mean more weight (rotational mass), a slight strain on trans/diff/etc, and compromise in handling.

Figured since were doing the 60k service we might as well replace the stock air filter with a K&N. I told Alison she has to install it if she wants it!

i got a spy shot out the window!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25665_1103983657880_1775422589_195477_7342581_n.jpg

Archived