LegacyGT.com

Are my struts going? Something else?

When carrying 3 passengers in the back and accelerating out of 1st, I can hear a rubbing sound from the rear driver side suspension. I also hear a clunking sound when making right turns (car leaning left). It only happens when carrying passenger in the back, nothing happens with only me driving in the front. Is that a sign that the strut is done? Seems early at only 57K...car doesnt seem to rock when I push down on it.

Some people get a groaning/grinding noise from the back when the car is heavily loaded, the weather is colder, and you accelerate hard (or some combination of those items). This may be due to flex in the rear suspension, but no one has definitively solved it. Most people hearing this are not stock (stage 2, typically). You can read more about it in that thread here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/growling-noise-rear-while-accelerating-48567.html

The bounce-test is not suitable for really testing the integrity of a strut. There is really no "reliable" way to test strut integrity on the car, so most people go by mileage or feel during driving. I can't tell you how to do that over a forum post... so you may want to bring it into a shop to have it checked out. 57k seems a little low for the stock setup to give out, but then again, you live in the Northeast, where potholes are aplenty... it could be time to replace them.

Archived