LegacyGT.com

Power steering noise, turning causes a spike in RPM's....?

I have a 2007 2.5i (n/a). I've notice for some time now that the power steering pump seems to be kinda loud; it has a whine/growl to it.

Today I noticed that while I'm sitting still and turn the wheel, it causes the RPM's to go up, a noticeable amount. I understand that the power steering requires power from the engine to operate but I don't think it should make the RPM's rise like this (a couple hundred RPM's, but less than 1,000).

I've notice other times when I turn to get my car aligned for backing into my parking spot at home that the engine R's raise but I didn't know why. Now I feel that it's from the power steering.

Anyone else have these symptoms (noisy p.s. pump, spikin RPM's when turning) or any input on the situation???

Thanks

The rpm bump is perfectly normal in the situation. But there is hearing it work normally and hearing it (much louder) not work properly. Check your power steering reservoir fluid level. If it is below the minimum line, top it off with some Dex III or equivalent trans fluid. If it is more squealing than just noisy when you turn the wheel at a stop, your belt is loose. That can be really squeally, and you would know for sure. So take a look at the reservoir level, and see what you find.

Lastly, put your key in the ON position with engine OFF, and try turning the wheel at a stop. VERY hard to do right? The engine does not make much power at idle, so it does need to pump itself up a bit to make the steering easy for you. Very normal. My Toyota/Lexus cars do it even more than the legacy if that makes you feel any better (but then the steering wheel is also easier to turn on those in trade).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The ps fluid is fine; I checked that last week (this was my first suspicion) and the noise is not the typical 'squealing' consistent with lose belts.

Perhaps its just one of the quirks of the car but I definitely noticed early on about the noisy power steering and I mainly wanted to see if anyone else noticed....

Check the belt for tension problems. l've had this problem 3 times in the last 2 months. Had the mechanic order a 2 sizes smaller belt today. 1/2" smaller belt and the tensioner for the alternator is tight enough that the nut is riding underneath the belt and causing pre-mature wear again. Belt will show signs of fray or you'll see belt dust and cling-ons on the alternator if you're belt is wearing out.

I'd check that on the alternator for signs of wear if it was my car.

not sure if this is the right place to ask the question. my 05' legacy 5EAT has gone through its first winter in snow country. during this time, i started to here this noise at startup, thinking it was maybe related to the freezing temps. now that it is spring again, i still get this in morning startups. any ideas? http://www.youtube.com/user/johnsyourunkle#p/a/u/0/vFEtauOB7Io

thanks!

not sure if this is the right place to ask the question. my 05' legacy 5EAT has gone through its first winter in snow country. during this time, i started to here this noise at startup, thinking it was maybe related to the freezing temps. now that it is spring again, i still get this in morning startups. any ideas? http://www.youtube.com/user/johnsyourunkle#p/a/u/0/vFEtauOB7Io

thanks!

tighten your power steering belt tensioner a little (with a socket wrench. There might be another nut you have to loosen so you can tighten or loosen the tensioner, don't remember. But it is very intuitive to figure out when you look at it. Then start the car and see if it does it anymore. If it does, repeat tightening it JUST A LITTLE, and eventually it will be fixed. With a buddy to quickly start and stop the car, the trial and error shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

I caution little turns because a few people really tighten that sucker up so it'll never squeal again. This overkill tightening shortens the life of the pumps on the belt.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

thanks!

There's 2 bolts you'll need to loosen slightly before you add tension to the belt. One is the pivot point for the alternator mount and the other is in the center of the actual pulley that will be moving as you adjust. Hope that makes sense.

Archived