LegacyGT.com

Feder's Subaru in Middletown, NY

barnaby

I am writing this because I love my 05LGT and would like to see anybody who's thinkingt of getting one to avoid having the kinds of feelings that I am now having. Which, btw, have nothing to do with the car. The car is a monster! BUY ONE! But don't deal with Feder's, because they're just interested in your money and do not give you the kind of treatment that you deserve.

I had an 02 LGT with 29,000 miles on it and it had had $15,000 in repairs from two accidents. But it was really in pristine condition. The work done was done well, with the exception of painting the little cover on the tow hook in front the wrong color. The car was great. They gave me ~10k in trade and charged me almost full price. That's not something I'm going to call them on though, because I didn't haggle or really care all that much, once I'd seen the black LGT in the showroom, I kind of just went stupid. And I don't regret it, the difference wouldn't, perhaps couldn't have been that much anyway. But my deal was as follows - you give me a price, less my trade, and I bring you a check. When the check clears, I bring in my old one and drive away in the new one. So, with the extended coverage, I brought them a $22,000 check on a Monday, to pick up the new car on Friday. From that moment on, I did not matter to them. I asked them to call me in my office when the check cleared in case I wanted to pick the car up early. I asked them to call me about purchasing a bra - from them!!! They never called. They said they could cancel my old extended coverage and arrange for my refund, then a week after I left them with my papers, they called to say I should come get them because they couldn't do it. Or, they said, they could mail them to me. It's been two weeks since then, AND THEY'RE NOT IN RUSSIA THEY'RE IN THE NEXT COUNTY!!! I don't have my papers. To get the refund, you have to turn in the agreement within 30 days of selling you old car. So I have 10 days left and no agreement.

I am angry. If you live up here, you can appreciate the Subaru in ways that some other areas can't, but of course you can in all the wayts that they can. It's a fabulous car, and you shouldn't have to be enraged by anything related to it.

PICK ANOTHER DEALER!!!

barnaby

Guest *Jedimaster*
They're right around the corner from me, so naturally I tried to deal with them. Yuri, the salesman was terrific. This behemoth sales manager refused to put anything on paper, so I went to Mr. Feder himself who told me not to worry about it, gentleman's promise and that I'd pay 500 over invoice. As the date neared, he refused to honor this promise. Not a gentleman after all. I told them to either put my deal in writing or I'm walking. They refused, I walked. There was no way I was ordering a car, letting it come in and THEN finding out what the price was :rolleyes:

okay, I'm still angry, so maybe I'm over-posting on this. Sorry. Mike, the salesman I dealt with, is a nice enough guy, but when I first went in during the test drive he was pointing out the controls and got one wrong. I explained to him what it did. When I went to pick up my car, he tried to explain it again, and got it wrong again! what's up with that?

sorry to hear about ur experience with a lousy dealer...dont forget...since u made the purchase you do get to fill out a Satisfaction/performance survey...RATE THEM POOR and then call SoA or e-mail SoA and report rude behaviour from the dealer.

Man SoA may even give you some freebies and subaru bucks...just make some noise and stir up a shit storm. Try and talk to regional manager at SoA and bitch and complain like never before.

I still couldnt get past ur statement " I didnt haggle"...dare i ask the specs of ur new LGT and the price you paid??? This is perfect time for negotiating on new subarus.....even f you have the money at hand...whatever u save by negotiating could be put to better use for modifications.

Anyways..dont let this stealer get away with this and rate them poor and do your share of duty as an informed consumer and watch how that poor rating takes them down.

I'm embarrassed here. I wanted the car, I had the money, my last experience with a Subaru dealer (Ruge's in Rhinebeck) was very happy. I think they gave me like $1500 off MSRP. I know, I know, I could've done better, but as naive as it sounds, I've always thought if you're buying a product that you really believe in, then it's worth what they charge. They suck, but as far as I'm concerned, in terms of what's parked in front of my apartment, I got what I paid for, a really excellent vehicle. I have complained to SOA, and tried to complain again today, but their website said they were having difficulties, so I'll try again tomorrow. He11, I can't even log on to the "my.subaru.com" site!

Whatever, screw them, I love the car, i loved it on the web, I loved my old one - this one, I get silly just looking at it.

Thanks for your response, and don't think too poorly of me for being in love with my car. Everyone should be as happy with a product as I am with this car.

BTW, It's an LGT 5EAT, and it had 101 miles when I picked it up. It has the spoiler, which I don't mind, and the auto-dimming mirror. That's it. It was there, it was black, I fell in love, what can I say? I was originally going to get a blue one without a spoiler, but the black just grabbed me and said you need me, you need me now!

Guest *Jedimaster*

Barnaby- I wound up at Bill Kolb Subaru, which also turned out to be a bad experience for me, as they stole parts form me and I had to call SOA (long story). I haven't had a good Subaru experience, dealer wise. I'd be up for coffee sometime if you want.

Oh, and John says hi.

Come vit me if you want to leeve.

I am writing this because I love my 05LGT and would like to see anybody who's thinkingt of getting one to avoid having the kinds of feelings that I am now having. Which, btw, have nothing to do with the car. The car is a monster! BUY ONE! But don't deal with Feder's, because they're just interested in your money and do not give you the kind of treatment that you deserve.

PICK ANOTHER DEALER!!!

barnaby

5 hours drive away from you is Van Bortel Subaru. Next time, don't even bother with the local dealers down there. Invoice price and absolutely, positively no BS. There are other local dealers here willing to beat VBS prices, but to me it was worth a couple hundred dollars to be treated like a human being, er, like a Tiger.:D VBS has an internet sales manager (Karl) and he'll give you an honest quote down to the penny, and do everything he can to make the arrangements work out for you. I don't understand why treating customers like dirt continues to pervail in most auto sales environments, but you do not have to put up with it. It would take a day of your time to drive up here, pick up the car, and drive back. VBS will even do a quote for your trade in on line or over the phone, and as long as the car is like you say it is they stand by the quote. No BS again. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I bought my car from Karl...in person not on the internet. I figure I may have been able to save a little more going somewhere (some places are selling below invoice I have heard) else but the hassle free buying from Van Bortel convinced me. No I don't work for them but I have bought 3 cars from them and the experience was great. Oh yeah, Karl is a great guy to boot.

I dont own a Legacy yet! but it will probably be my next vehicle so i'm researching. Just found it interesting to see a thread about Feders Middletown, NY which I live outside of now. and then in the same thread a dealership in Rochester where i lived for most my life then moved to middletown about a year ago. Small world. I think i'll be looking to buy from van bortel.

sorry to hear about ur experience with a lousy dealer...dont forget...since u made the purchase you do get to fill out a Satisfaction/performance survey...RATE THEM POOR and then call SoA or e-mail SoA and report rude behaviour from the dealer.

Man SoA may even give you some freebies and subaru bucks...just make some noise and stir up a shit storm. Try and talk to regional manager at SoA and bitch and complain like never before.

I still couldnt get past ur statement " I didnt haggle"...dare i ask the specs of ur new LGT and the price you paid??? This is perfect time for negotiating on new subarus.....even f you have the money at hand...whatever u save by negotiating could be put to better use for modifications.

Anyways..dont let this stealer get away with this and rate them poor and do your share of duty as an informed consumer and watch how that poor rating takes them down.

The sales guy I had was good, then I guess they have other people who gets the plates for your car, well mine were never processed and I had no car for almost 2 weeks. I had no tags on it and they were expired for two weeks, I was pissed because this car was a big hit at first with what I put down. I don't think Subaru really got down the dealership aspect of moving up in the market. My dealership made a few mistakes on the sale and the processing and I was left high and dry for almost two weeks. I got nothing, not even a pen. They told me they'd give me the heavy duty floor mats for my troubles, but when it was time they said absolutely not. The sale of this car was a royal pain in the ass. My last car was quick and easy, while it was a crappy econo box, I did get my first choice in colors and options down to the most minute detail. My folks got a Mercury and I sat and watched their deal - it was done on Saturday afternoon, on Monday they picked up the car that the dealer located and delievered which had their first choice for everything with all the options they wanted. I went back and forth 7 times and wound up with my second choice color and the spolier which I was very clear I didn't want. The car's great after you get past the dealership side of it.

On a positive note, at least the service so far has been very quick and done right. Amen to that.

- Mike

Unfortunately I think that the dealer spotted a for sure deal and they didn't want to give anything. He probably knew that whatever he said, you would still buy the car. Is this right? No. But this is why car salesmen, are who they are.

I see that vanbortelsubaru has good prices, but fitzgerald beats them on almost every price, is this not worth driving to DC?

I don't work for any dealer; I'm in the market myself in the NYC/NJ area. I'm not looking forward to talking to some of these people.

I see that vanbortelsubaru has good prices, but fitzgerald beats them on almost every price, is this not worth driving to DC?

Absolutely. If you can find a dealer within reasonable driving distance who does better than invoice price (which VBS generally will not go below), AND treats you well, no BS or added fees, etc. then by all means buy there. Locally (I live 12 miles from VBS) there are dealers that will slightly beat Van Bortel's price, but they don't enjoy the same reputation for customer service and attitude that VBS has. Perhaps they will achieve that in the future, but for now it was worth a couple hundred dollars (at most) more to me to have a seamless, enjoyable transaction and support the polite, friendly, straightforward people who I met there. Yes it's just another form of marketing, but it works for alot of customers, as they are the #1 Subaru dealer in the US.

And no, I don't work for them. I'm just impressed by them.:cool:

Absolutely. If you can find a dealer within reasonable driving distance who does better than invoice price (which VBS generally will not go below), AND treats you well, no BS or added fees, etc. then by all means buy there. Locally (I live 12 miles from VBS) there are dealers that will slightly beat Van Bortel's price, but they don't enjoy the same reputation for customer service and attitude that VBS has. Perhaps they will achieve that in the future, but for now it was worth a couple hundred dollars (at most) more to me to have a seamless, enjoyable transaction and support the polite, friendly, straightforward people who I met there. Yes it's just another form of marketing, but it works for alot of customers, as they are the #1 Subaru dealer in the US.

And no, I don't work for them. I'm just impressed by them.:cool:

I agree 100%. After dealing with pushy salespeople it was such a breath of fresh air to just go in and buy the car I wanted without any BS.

Hey thanks everybody for the responses. I think I just needed to blow steam, and given Feder's service prices, I'll probably blow more. And mlrtime, you're right. I walked in and said, I want this car, and that was it. The upside is the car is delicious, and I am loving it. Thank heaven at least the manufacturer comes through on their promises and lives up to all the good reviews!

barnaby

I am new the to the Subaru family. I bought my 05 Legacy 2.5i Limited almost 2 months ago (purchased Feb. 17th) I went to Wappingers Falls Subaru and I had they were great. I spoke w/ the saleswomen (Pat) a few times before I was able to make it in for a test drive. I first drove the GT, I loved it, then drove the Limited, love it too! Because I was upside down about 4K in my 02 Altima, I opted for the Limited because it comes loaded with mad features. My car is RBP, the only added "option" it came w/ was all-weather mats. It had only 26 miles on it, but it was considered an aged vehicle because how long it was on the lot (about 90-120 days). We haggled a bit and I got them to go down to 23 K even. I considered this a good deal, what do you guys think? Because of my schedule I would not have been able to get the car for like 4 or 5 days and I wanted it that day, but the Mgr that does the buyout paper work was on vacation. The dealership if co-owned w/ Toyota as well. They arranged for that MGR to do my buyout so I can have it that day, (which I thought was nice).

I would recommend (based on my experience) Wappingers Falls Subaru. Two days ago I bought it in for it's first oil change and I ran into my saleswomen, she gave me a coupon for a free car wash and told me I would probably be getting some more free stuff. They are going for a JD Power & Associates award. If you are near this dealer, I'd give them a shot. Oh tell em Doug Clarke sent ya, if you refer people, they give ya $50 bucks a sale :D

Oh by the way, does anyone know if it is worth putting a short-throw shifter in a non-turbo legacy sedan??

Archived