LegacyGT.com

I tried searching

Ok i have two questions. I dont have the owners manual otherwise i would just look at that. I wanted to know two things:

1. Checking the transmission fluid - Do i check it when its hot/cold and on/off. Its a 5spd manual

2. Checking the oil - Do i check it hot/cold and i know that ones off.

Obviously both are on a level surface. I keep getting different answers from people so im not sure which one to do without the owners manual. I tried calling my local subaru dealer but they weren't open.

I better just answer you straight before everyone else sees this. :lol: Especially Rao.

1. Off, warm or cold doesn't matter.

2. Again, doesn't matter. Only matters just after an oil change to start it for 20 sec to fill the oil filter. Shut it off then wait 5 min and check.

Before you ask, engine oil is 1qt difference from low to high mark and you read the side that's lowest.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

ok i knew the 1 qt difference. like i said i wouldnt have asked but my car didnt come with an owners manual. I called a shop and they said the car on with the transmission in neutral. Than i asked two other people and they said off but warm. The engine ive heard either hot or it doesnt matter.

Thanks for the answer.

I thought subbie oil filters are prefilled before being put on?

My answer for #1 and 2 are pretty much the same. If you check the levels cold, just know that it will go up slightly when the engine is warm. If you want to check the levels after driving, just wait 5-10 minutes before you do so.

Here's Subaru's answer

engineoil.jpg.035c23f6a7aaa2df915e9cc4151f3d22.jpg

transmission.jpg.c1660c25c1c2ba6b7ba1d629ba85eda1.jpg

My answer for #1 and 2 are pretty much the same. If you check the levels cold, just know that it will go up slightly when the engine is warm. If you want to check the levels after driving, just wait 5-10 minutes before you do so.

Here's Subaru's answer

Thanks man that was really helpful. I was wondering if it mattered if the picture of the oil canister was pointing up or down. Ill check the stuff in the morning though. Appreciate it guys

Archived