LegacyGT.com

remote wire on an amp

kopke

Tital seas it all. I'm going to get an amp to power a sub. I'll be using a stock HU. A GX-201. I'm planing on converting a specer wier to RCA and moust likly going to get it from the rear. The power wire will probebly be somthink like this http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3101&highlight=amp+wire+alternate

That leaves the remote wire. I have no idea on how to get to a 12 ACC. Can somone point me in the right derecsion? Pics are more then welcomed.

Also if enyone has a better idea whit the power/RCA wire I'm always interested in good ides.

Extra question. Can the RCA and the ACC run togheter?

Try the antenna/amp wire to see if it powers up when you turn on the radio, that would be the one that might work. (Pin 14 at the radio connector) Should be a yellow wire with a black stripe. Try it and make sure it doesn't cause interference with the radio antenna.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V156667669~C42417~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/115013665/117253666/117253857/117253861/34853741/34866247/34866341/34866448/34866451/129140547/129140548

I ran a wire from the fusebox back to the amp.. and put a switch inline. Quick n dirty but gets the job done. Just find a fuse thats hot on ACC. Sure the amp will be on anytime the car is, whether the radio is or not.. but I found when im in the car, 99.9% of the time I got the radio on anyway. And for that .1% when I want the amp off.. thats what the inline switch is for.

Try the antenna/amp wire to see if it powers up when you turn on the radio, that would be the one that might work. (Pin 14 at the radio connector) Should be a yellow wire with a black stripe. Try it and make sure it doesn't cause interference with the radio antenna.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V156667669~C42417~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/115013665/117253666/117253857/117253861/34853741/34866247/34866341/34866448/34866451/129140547/129140548

To be clear the antenna/amp is the amp on the HU and is alredy powering my stock system?

BTW. I'm amazed on how quickly you lads replay. Thumbs up

http://tinypic.com/r/9zr6zc/5

So this is the one i'll be going 4. Can someone post me a image of the back side of the HU.

Allso. I think i'll yust get a RCA from the HU seans i'm back ther enywhay. Can I simply use a theaf plug? And can the RCA an the 12acc go together into the trunk? I know about the problem whit a RCA and a power wire. Is the 12Acc the same?

http://legacygt.com/forums/%5Bimg%5Dhttp://i40.tinypic.com/9zr6zc.gif[/img]http://i40.tinypic.com/9zr6zc.gif

So this is the one i'll be going 4. Can someone post me a image of the back side of the HU.

Allso. I think i'll yust get a RCA from the HU seans i'm back ther enywhay. Can I simply use a theaf plug? And can the RCA an the 12acc go together into the trunk? I know about the problem whit a RCA and a power wire. Is the 12Acc the same?

I put my amp under the drivers seat and ran a wire off the acc. cigarette power in the console cubby under the armrest. You can run it forward and down under the carpet and it comes out the wholes in carpet under the seat. Just make sure whatever you connect it to turns off when the key is off and has power when you turn on the acc.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

I put my amp under the drivers seat and ran a wire off the acc. cigarette power in the console cubby under the armrest. You can run it forward and down under the carpet and it comes out the wholes in carpet under the seat. Just make sure whatever you connect it to turns off when the key is off and has power when you turn on the acc.

that's an exelent idea. I think I'll go whit that one. seas like less trobul

• 2 weeks later...
Still wondering if the ACC and the RCA can line up togheter

Typically you use the rear out speaker lines with an "LOC" (Line Out Converter). Go from the HU and get one positive and one negative from the rear speakers.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Typically you use the rear out speaker lines with an "LOC" (Line Out Converter). Go from the HU and get one positive and one negative from the rear speakers.

So what U R saying is that the RCA and the ACC can be the same wire? I knew a normal RCA workt that whey but not a line out

So what U R saying is that the RCA and the ACC can be the same wire? I knew a normal RCA workt that whey but not a line out

Not sure, but that sounds like it came out of nowhere... There is absolutely no sound coming through an ACC wire. It is an on/off switch, thats it. I just told you in my previous post how to get the sound to RCA.

He's asking if running the amp remote on wire (from +12V Acc) too close to the RCA cables will cause the audio lines to pick up noise. People warn you to keep the amp's main power line away from the audio lines.

I'd say you should have the same concern here. Even though you're not using the +12V Acc wire to power the amp, it could still have alternator noise that might be picked up by the RCA cables if they're too close. But I'll bet it would only take an inch or two of separation to avoid that problem.

Also, if you're going to grab the speaker signals from the radio harness behind the HU, you might as well pick up +12V Acc there too. I can put together a combined forward/reverse 14-pin harness so you can tap into the wires there without hacking up your factory wires. E-mail me for more info.

ADDED: The 2005 and 2006 Legacy radios have a 5th-channel subwoofer output that you might want to try using. It's on the "i85" harness. See this post.

He's asking if running the amp remote on wire (from +12V Acc) too close to the RCA cables will cause the audio lines to pick up noise. People warn you to keep the amp's main power line away from the audio lines.

I'd say you should have the same concern here. Even though you're not using the +12V Acc wire to power the amp, it could still have alternator noise that might be picked up by the RCA cables if they're too close. But I'll bet it would only take an inch or two of separation to avoid that problem.

Also, if you're going to grab the speaker signals from the radio harness behind the HU, you might as well pick up +12V Acc there too. I can put together a combined forward/reverse 14-pin harness so you can tap into the wires there without hacking up your factory wires. E-mail me for more info.

ADDED: The 2005 and 2006 Legacy radios have a 5th-channel subwoofer output that you might want to try using. It's on the "i85" harness. See this post.

Ok... I misread it then because it sounded like he was asking if he can use the ACC to output to RCA... lol

FWIW, I've run many stereo setups and never had issues with the ACC line being too close to the RCA to cause problems. The tiny current that is put through the ACC line has never been an issue, I could see if the wires were stripped, but the shielding on the wires is more than enough to counteract any possible interferance. In fact, my current setup (given I have a JL Cleansweep) uses one thick cable with 9 wires - 4x2 speaker wires and 1 remote wire, it is bundled inside one thicker cable and I have no interference.

Archived