LegacyGT.com

97' tranny removal/install challenges

BigSkysoob

I've got a 97' legacy 2.5 gt auto transmission that is on its last legs (reverse issues, dealer says torque converter lockup, seal going) at 175k. I've found some salvage trannys as low as 25k and want to throw one of those in but wondering if I can skirt the $400 labor cost by doing it myself. I don't have much experience with car work but know how to use tools and follow a repair manual. I've read through the Haynes manual and it sounds easy enough (of course) but wondering what my biggest challenges would be. I'd have to use jack stands and I could certainly buy a tranny jack or adaptor for a regular jack.

1)What would be the hardest parts of the process and do you think it's worth it?

2)Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

3)Just talked to my trans mechanic and he said that some vehicles may have different auto trans for the same model/year (he was thinking of the 99 legacy/outback I believe) and wasn't sure if that was the case for mine. Do you know if there are different auto trans for my model? The concern he brought up was the potential for a purchase of a trans from a salvage yard could give me an inexact match even if it was pulled from the same model/yr.

Cheers

First you probably a have a final gear ratio 3.9, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't done an auto tranny, but I did a manual about 3 weeks ago. Took 10 hours. Some parts must be done with a 2nd person. I followed the subaru shop manual:

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/4%20-%20TRANSMISSION.PDF

start on page AT-19

Easy steps, to avoid needing a 2nd person for removal, I put a car jack under the tail end of the tranny, then tied a rope to the pitch stop. When I started prying it off the rope was loose, and tied to my strut bar, double with a 2x4. The tranny simply fell off, to the length of loose rope I had left, about 6 inches, never hit the ground, then I lowered it manually.

Installation can be done with a transmission jack, or creativity that I don't have, or a 2nd person.

PS, the most important note: Tilt your engine back by jacking about 1.5-2" under the oil pan otherwise that tranny will never come off, NOR will it go back on, you'll never line it up.

Archived