LegacyGT.com

DIN Plate for aftermarket radio

iyamdman

One of the really stupid things SOA did, was putting such a lame radio in the Legacy's. DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!

Currently, there is no Double DIN that will work with the AC controls, except a right hand drive version from Japan.

Nobody knows if there will be one for left hand drive cars.

The easiest way to do it, would be for some very kind soul (or after market parts company), to buy a right hand DIN plate - digitize it (maybe $250) and modify the hazard button hole to the other side - then give it to a CNC machining company to machine a plate from aluminum (or make a plastic injection mold - $8k -$ 10k? - each part maybe $1 in plastic and labor).

Figure $1000 total for CNC.

Then you would have to buy the right hand DIN from Japan, and mount the circuit board from that to the new CNC'd DIN plate.

It would be expensive, but a nice shiny CNC aluminum DIN plate with a nice DVD NAV - MP3 playing - AUX IN head unit would be killer.

Maybe $4000 total!!! Cool. We love SOA for giving us this potential option.

Anyone want to try this????

Then where would I put my sunglasses!!!

The solution is a correct aftermarket audio DIN plate, or retrofit NAV from SOA.

My understanding is that they will have avalible in summer for around $2500.

I found this aftermarket one for $2100 with Sirus

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5r27RKbkhHI/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&I=130AVICN2

Nav, CD, MP3, AUX in and Sirus!!!!

Now, if SOA will sell us a left hand DIN plate - maybe $200 - than I would be very happy with this set-up vs. the OEM Nav unit!!!!

Maybe, that is why they are not selling the left hand DIN???

maybe from our perspective it is, but look at it this way if anything happens, you HAVE to get SOA parts, making sure the money goes to them and not an aftermarket supplier. Lets face it many of the companies are going this route now days anyway.

The big problem is not the DIN plate itself, it is that the radio and ACC circuits are on one PCB (Printed Circuit Board).

If they were separate, then it would be a much easier solution.

Archived