LegacyGT.com

Upgrade speakers from OEM

smarcus3

I wanted to upgrade my current OEM speakers. Would adding new speakers improve the sound? How much improvement will I get if I add a 4 channel amp. I don't wait to shake the mirrors off my car, just for it to sound balanced.

Also If i add an amp, can you adjust the volume of the amp remotely like at the front seat so that I can set the gains correctly to compensate for the factory oem headunit which would stay on one setting.

With an amp and 4-channel LOC (line out converter) you won't need seprate controls for it. Just set the gains once and you can use the OEM radio just like before. It will make a big diffrence though with upgraded speakers. The stock amp is quite wimpy.

okay i think i want to add a 4 channel amp, line out converter. does this sound good?

if i don't like to shake the whole car, would you add a sub?

where would you install the amp other than the trunk?

also where and how do you route wires in the interior links or pics would be great.

Sounds good, it will open up you options on speakers to a lot of good ones.

The best place to put an amp in our cars is the foam tray over the spare tire. You'll have to run the wires longer, but it's simple. Second place would be under the front seats, but you have to get a physically smaller amp. The class-D kenwoods are faily small, and sound quite good.

okay i think i want to add a 4 channel amp, line out converter. does this sound good?

if i don't like to shake the whole car, would you add a sub?

where would you install the amp other than the trunk?

also where and how do you route wires in the interior links or pics would be great.

what's wrong whit the trunk?

DOES THIS INCLUDE EVERYTHING I NEED: Thanks in advance.

Item Name & Description Price Quantity Total

Subtotal: $258.44

2068ZX2004

Kicker 08ZX200.4

4-channel car amplifier — 35 watts RMS x 4

This item is in stock

Add ServiceNet service plan

Add accessories for this product

$199.99

Price Break $100.00 off

$99.99

You save $100.00

Crutchfield lifetime tech support $99.99 1 FREE

099SE5000

Eclipse SE5000

5-1/4" 3-way car speakers

This item is in stock

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan without factory subwoofer: Front Door

$89.99

Special Purchase $50.00 off

$39.99

You save $50.00

Speaker Brackets 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speaker adapter plates for select 1998-up Chevrolet, Honda, Mercedes, MINI, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volvo models

This item is in stock

$19.99 1 FREE

Toyota Speaker Harnesses Speaker adapter plugs

This item is in stock

$12.99 1 FREE

099SE5000

Eclipse SE5000

5-1/4" 3-way car speakers

This item is in stock

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan without factory subwoofer: Rear Door

$89.99

Special Purchase $50.00 off

$39.99

You save $50.00

Speaker Brackets 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speaker adapter plates for select 1998-up Chevrolet, Honda, Mercedes, MINI, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volvo models

This item is in stock

$19.99 1 FREE

Speaker Harnesses For a wide variety of vehicles

This item is in stock

$12.99 1 FREE

142PA8

EFX 8-gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit

Power and signal connections for your new amp

This item is in stock

$39.99

$39.99

142SLC4

Scosche SLC4

Four-channel line output converter

This item is in stock

$24.99

$24.99

142A17C

EFX 17-foot RCA Patch Cable

This item is in stock

$8.99

$8.99

042DM4022

Pro.Fit Trim Panel Tool

Remove your vehicle's trim panels without damage

This item is in stock

$4.50

$4.50

Crutchfield MasterSheet Instructions $9.99 1 FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Amplifier Installation 1 FREE

FREE Crutchfield Guide: Peripherals Installation 1 FREE

if you take the time you can run the wires through the firewall and then take out your seats and run it down the middle underneath the carpet, or under neath the door side sills. its not really that complicated if you kno how to take apart the interior. if not a professional can run the wires for you. im not sure about the labor but its around 40 per hour here.

nothings wrong per say with the trunk, but how / where do you route wires to get there.

2) Can speaker wire be run next to the amp's power cable. I know rca connot.

into the trunk. Can't be hard. The only thing I'm consernd about is how to get a remote wier from the sterio to the amp.

i was taking apart of the interior of the car and found plastic cable trays on each side of the car which will make running the wires inside slightly easier. however i cannot find a hole in the firewall to get power from. :(

NVM I took a night to pull the car apart and found the majority of the cable routing locations. :)

here is what i actually order today:

1 0 1 099EA4200 Eclipse EA4200 60W x 4 at 4 ohms

Owner's Manual

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $129.99 129.99

1 0 1 113KFC1662 Kenwood KFC-1662S 6-1/2" 3-way Speakers

Owner's Manual

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $49.99 49.99

1 0 1 113KFC1682 Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-way Speakers

Owner's Manual

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $52.49 52.49

1 0 1 142A17C EFX 17-ft. Stereo RCA Patch Cable

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $8.99 8.99

1 0 1 142PA8 EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $39.99 39.99

1 0 1 142SLC4 Scosche SLC4 Speaker to RCA Four Channel Line output converter

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $24.99 24.99

1 0 1 18119000 S&G Tool Aid 19000 Wire Cutter/Stripper Tool

Owner's Manual

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $24.99 24.99

40 0 40 211SC16BL StreetWires SCP16500BL per foot 16 gauge Blue Speaker Wire

Learn more at Crutchfield.com $0.40 16.00

1 0 1 0000500031 SUBA LEGACY & OUTBACK 05- MS

Download MasterSheet Attached

1 0 1 000AMPIG FREE Crutchfield Guide: Amplifier Installation

Download Guide Attached

1 0 1 000PERIG FREE Crutchfield Guide: Peripherals Installation

Download Guide Attached

1 0 1 000SRSAIR Airbag Fact Sheet Crutchfield Air Bag Fact Sheet

Download Guide Attached

1 0 1 000CARCAT Current Crutchfield Catalog Car Bounce Back Free

1 0 1 000PIPENV Envelope barcode Outgoing packages

Download Guide Free

1 0 1 12071003 Universal "T" Wire Harness speakers, w/ -Top

Owner's Manual

Learn more at Crutchfield.com Free

1 0 1 120823412 Geo/Toyota SAPs 1998-up, 5.25"/6.5"

Owner's Manual

1 0 1 12071035 Toyota Wire Harness speakers

Owner's Manual

1 0 1 120823412 Geo/Toyota SAPs 1998-up, 5.25"/6.5"

Owner's Manual

SubTotal: $347.43

VA Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $0.00

Total: $347.43

I went down this road first and was disappointed. First I replaced the front speakers with Alpine Type-S splits and it sounded worse than factory. Very tinny. All top end and less bass than OEM. I was told these speakers would benefit from more power as the OEM HU had very little. I added a 4x50w Alpine amp using the speaker level inputs rather than a converter. Yes it was louder and marginally better bass but still seriously lacking and rather disappointing. I then added a JVC under seat sub not unlike the OEM sub and a pair of Alpine Type-S coaxials in the back doors. Finally some bass. It was far better than the speakers alone, but far from good. The bass was OK at normal low listening levels, but distorted at volume. It only has a 4-5" sub so what more could you expect.

I put up with this for about 6 months and finally got jack of it. I was going to go down the route of a sound processor like the Apline PXE-H650 or the Rockford 3Sixty, but I simply was convinced that the OEM HU was crap and couldn't be "processed" into something better. The old saying of "can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse" came to mind. I then decided to go the JDM double DIN HVAC way. I bought the double DIN fascia and A/C controller from Subaru Japan and installed an Alpine iXA-W407EBT mechless HU and a Type-S 10" sub driven by an Alpine PDX amp. The difference is phenomenal and well worth the effort. I may still look at improving the front speakers to Type-R's or Boston Acoustic but all in all a very significant and worthwhile improvement. Both amps are under the front seats and the sub is custom made into the rear quarter panel in a ported arrangement. I didn't want really big doof doof or lose any usable space in the boot so this is why I did it this way.

I hope you're happy with the sound after you go to all that effort, but I suspect that you'll be expecting to sound better than it will.

I cannot do the double din because I have already custom mounted my Magellan GPS in the cubby hole and have loved its location. Doing that install has allowed me to use my GPS more frequently and has vastly increased its usefulness.

I could always add a cleansweep type box to replace my line out converter I currently am going to install. I just wanted to see if I really needed it or not before I spent $150+ on it. I only spent 20 on the line out converter.

How did you install the amps under the front seats. How much ‘air’ / free space is needed around the air for it to be ‘happy.’ I don’t mind using up some trunk space and I just don’t want to overheat the amp. Also how do you make adjustments to it if it’s under the front seats.

just got everything from crutchfield. After work today I wired the amp and ran the rca cables from the glove box to it. Hopefully during the weekend ill be able to actually connect the amp to the speakers.

just got everything from crutchfield. After work today I wired the amp and ran the rca cables from the glove box to it. Hopefully during the weekend ill be able to actually connect the amp to the speakers.

You feal like taking a few pics of the proses?

Archived