LegacyGT.com

Another Summer Tire Comparison Question

monkonmonk

I know there have been plenty of comparisons out there on tires and I have searched and tried to read all of the responses. However, I have noticed that a lot of folks are at one extreme or the other even with a summer tire.

I am looking for a good quiet tire, that can serve some duty for a few track days a year (2-3 days).

I am currently considering the following tires:

Nitto 555 Extreme

Yokohama S Drives

Bridgestone RE760

I am considering all tires in a 225/40R18 for my Enkei GTC01s that are 18x7.5 +48.

Let me know what you guys think as I am going to pull the trigger before the week is out. Thanks.

Monk

I looked at those as well, but I am concerned that while I am trying to upgrade from a 215 to a 225, the actual tread width of the Hankook's is a good 0.5" less than competitors in the same class.

Go to tirerack.com and look at the specs for the v12. You will see it us in par with other tires on diameter and section width. 225's diameter is 25.1 inches and section width 9.1 inches. On par with those expensive tires

Recently installed a 4 set of Michelins MXV4 tire on our MY05 Outback XT in the stock OE tire size of 225/55/17s.

Very quiet, smooth ride, great braking with excellent charactor in the rain. What's not to like! .. currently priced at $127.00 each on sale at www.discount-tires-2go.com

Tire Rack has the same tire priced at $160.00 or so. ~ Go figure.

We run a mud & snow tire in the winter months .... so the MXV4 tires are used as 3 season tires.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

AFAIK MXV4 is all season grand touring tire.

But I may be mistaken.

Krzys

Ooops. My bad as the Michelin MXV4 tire is a casual A/S tire with sporting pretensions; sounds like a wine review eh?. The OP just might try the Michelin PS2s as a "summer" tire choice. These are sticky tires indeed. Bring money...

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Hankooks installed on Saturday and have not really had a chance to "test" them out. But, I can say confidently that they are just as quiet in my opinion as my RE92s. I had Bridgestone Pole Position S03s before and they were obtrusively loud and a little large in a 225/45/18 with the Rallitek Springs. So far, I love 'em! Especially the bang for the buck is hard to beat in my opinion. Curious to check out some wet driving also, but the weather has been getting nicer here in central Ohio.

Check out some pics in the Diamond Gray Thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-diamond-gray-thread-47200p85.html

I am currently considering the following tires:

Nitto 555 Extreme

Yokohama S Drives

Bridgestone RE760

Two of your three choices are featured in this comparo:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Sumitomo HTR Z3's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III&partnum=24YR8HTRZ3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I ran them last summer and was very happy (good grip, low noise). Lasted around 20k miles but that included 5 or 6 autox days.

I bought a set of Kumho Ventus S1 Evo (last generation as they were unloading stock so I got them cheap) and I already miss the Sumitomo's due to the road noise.

Archived