LegacyGT.com

2004 CEL and cruise problem

My wife was driving this evening and all of a sudden the cruise turned off and the CEL came on. Now the cruise indicator light is flashing.

I pulled the codes with my [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3100-Innova-CanOBD2-Diagnostic/dp/B000EVWDAK]ODB2[/ame] reader and it pulled a P0420.

Couple side notes that might be important:

1) A phone car charger broke inside the power adapter and a couple sparks popped a week ago. Since then, the seat warmers don't work.

2) Had to connect the muffler and pipe together due to a fitting rusting away over the summer.

3) Have had on and off issues with the cruise not wanting to engage...for the last couple months but it was so intermittent that I didn't pay much attention to it.

04 Legacy Outback Sedan

69k miles and out of warranty

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're from the US, (I'm assuming you are) your car would fall into the "3rd Generation" forum, but this is a pretty generic problem. Sounds like an O2 Sensor or Catalytic Converter type problem...... therefore you MIGHT get lucky with an emissions related claim if it is the cat.

As far as the phone charger problem, your heated seats are probably on the same circuit as the 12v accessory outlet. Check your fuse and report back :)

Edit: Make sure ALL exhaust leaks are patched up around the catalytic converter/engine. That could falsely set a P0420 as well.

If you're from the US, (I'm assuming you are) your car would fall into the "3rd Generation" forum, but this is a pretty generic problem.

According to the layout of the forum the third generation only goes to 2003, that's why I posted in this one.

Sounds like an O2 Sensor or Catalytic Converter type problem...... therefore you MIGHT get lucky with an emissions related claim if it is the cat.

They said I need to bring it in and pay $107 for diagnostic to see if it will be covered.

As far as the phone charger problem, your heated seats are probably on the same circuit as the 12v accessory outlet. Check your fuse and report back :)

That's what I was thinking as well but wanted to hear someone else say it for confirmation.

Edit: Make sure ALL exhaust leaks are patched up around the catalytic converter/engine. That could falsely set a P0420 as well.

I will have to look.

According to the layout of the forum the third generation only goes to 2003, that's why I posted in this one.

Yeah, the forum is tailored to overseas members as well where the generations started one year before the US. Just letting you know for the future so you know the correct place to post new threads :)

Let us know how it goes!

I'm not much help, but the USDM and CDM 2004 looks like this:

mysubaru.jpg

And the EDM and JDM 2004 looks like this:

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/forsale/lpg/2004%2054%20SUBARU%20LEGACY%20ESTATE%20LPG%20CONVERTED%202.5i%20SE%20SPORTS%20TOURER%20TIPTRONIC%20AUTO%205%20Door%20Estate.jpg

It's cool; I'm with the band

I just went out and tried a couple things I read on the forum. Starting it 4 times...holding down the brake for 30 seconds... after the fourth time it didn't even start. Cleared the codes and it was starting REALLY rough...which is very abnormal for this car...normally it just turns right over.

Interesting.... with an "inefficient" cat the car should still run, and start...

Maybe the O2 sensor is toast? If it's giving the ECU a bad reading, things might go haywire.

Also, try cleaning your MAF (Mass airflow sensor). I had a dirty MAF and it resulted in a P0420.

I had this problem come up as well, but mine happened in a blizzard we had a month and a half ago. But once i got out onto pavement and turned off my car and started it back up it was gone. I'm assuming snow got stuck up and maybe screwed up a sensor. Not sure if it has snowed by you recently. I now have an excuse to order a rallitek skid plate though:lol:

my car has been popping a po420 code a couple times. first time cleared it hoping it would just not come back. 2nd time i cleaned the maf and it went away for awhile. 3rd time it came back i took it into the dealer and told them i had a p0420 code and wanted to know if this falls under the cali emission warranty. they said yes and after doing whatever it is they do for 4hrs with my car they are now ordering me new cats as well as doing the fan recall on monday.

• 1 year later...

2008 LEGACY.....CEL and Flashing Cruise

I had this happen when I had my battery replaced and the Les Schwab I took it ran a diagnostics and nothing came back and they kept resetting it and they kept coming back.

I took to a dealer and this ended up being a fuse that needed to be replaced, which caused the error as it wasn't able to communicate with the computer.

This happened just the other day again and the PO420 code pulled up on my boyfriends diagnostic tool... My question is if this is one of the 02 sensors or tht CAT, how much am I looking at on average? Anyone know? :confused:

Archived