LegacyGT.com

Custom A-pillar gauge pod from gaugepods.com

mmm def

Alright So a lot of us here want an A-pillar gauge, nobody has a product. Gaugepods.com will custom make one if we have 30 people. Who is interested?

I could look into it being made out of the same material as our stock pillar.

I have done a litle research on the airbag, there is something in there, but from the pics showing the bag deployed, it doesn't look like there would be an issue with mounting the gauge there.

Ideas?

I'd be worried about having anything mounted high up on the pillar, or anywhere up the side of it for that matter. Whether it looks like there is nothing there or not. When those suckers deploy its a whole other ballgame.

What is wrong with the AVO one which sits in the corner of it? Well, i can see for those who need inspection stickers there, but who knows.

Ohhh....you are looking for a whole new A-pillar replacement, with a guage built in?? Stupid me, i was thinking somethign which somehow attaches to the pillar. Either way, i would be worried.

I agree though if it wasn't fabric covered it would look extremely out of place though.

Agreed it is close, you could probably get away with something down low, but anything which extends upwards is asking for trouble. Not to mention you will most certainly have problems if some goes wrong with any system and you get hurt...hopefully not the case, but in the event something didn't work correctly, you are SOL.

Look at the pic.

Apillar.jpg.ed069ba0fa8362aa43ade12f5b7c212b.jpg

If you guys want to see that in fact, there is airbag that extends halfway down the a-pillar, you can pull the pillar trim off.. I've attached the service manual page which shows how to remove it..

The part of the pillar cover that curls around to the driver's side is perforated on the angled part. This allow the cover to open and the airbag to come out, but it all stays attached.. If you obstruct this and stiffen it by placing additional plastic on the outside, then the airbag will not deploy fully, I guarantee it. The bag extends halfway down the a-pillar to help contain front seat occupants within the confines of the vehicle.

But, hey, it's your car.. If you "think" you can do this without affecting it, then go ahead.. Just don't go crying to Subaru when they don't properly deploy.

24 - Upper Inner Trim.pdf

24 - Upper Inner Trim.pdf

I was thinking of something like this ;)

http://www.gts-motorsports.com/gaugepics/6gaugepodintrk.jpg

Maybe something based on the AVO unit. Keeping it fairly close to the dash and a two gauge unit, made of the same material as the existing pillar.

http://www.concept1.ca/images/MK4%20A%20Pillar%20Gauge%20INCAR.jpg

http://www.deucecoupe.org/img/gauges.jpg

Well I am going to be installing a turbo on my car here in the next month or so and I want the a-pillar guages.

WIll they make one for me for my 2002 ?

2002 Subaru Legacy L (Retired)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

Devil']Well I am going to be installing a turbo on my car here in the next month or so and I want the a-pillar guages.

WIll they make one for me for my 2002 ?

Search the net...there's probably a few out there already.

Holy guages up my pod Batman!! 6 on the A....sensor overload

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

They don't usually fully replace the factory pillar. The one I used on my Integra was an Autometer pillar pod that mounted on top of the stock one. It pretty much fully covered it, but it did need something to bolt down to because it doesn't come with the factory clip points that would make it mount to the frame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/pillarpod2.jpg

The A-pillar cover on our cars is big enough that to cover it with another full length pod would look pretty nasty. It would require quite a large pod to accomplish that. Mounting one down low that is covered in fabric to match wouldn't be bad, but I think the best place to mount our gauges remains in that cubby above the stereo.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived