LegacyGT.com

Is my clutch going out

*sometimes not always at idle like a drive through or stop there will be a chirping sound it can be releaved by pressing the clutch in fully my hope is the throwaway bearing but im just checking up and wondering what you guys think, and if you have a rough estimate on the price of getting the clutch replaced

i think ive been a little bit hard on it with coasting and it was out of adjustment when i bought the car.

Does the noise stop when the clutch is fully released and start when you just put a little pressure on the pedal? If so,it could be the throwout bearing.

It doesn't make much sense to only replace the bearing. What I mean is, it takes the same amount of work to access the bearing as the clutch. If the clutch is 50% or less,you may as well change it while you're in there.

The bearing shouldn't be contacting the pressure plate when the pedal is fully released. Does the clutch start to engage very close to the top of the pedals travel?If it does, then the clutch plate is most likely about shot,and the bearing no longer has any free play between it and the pressure plate to allow it to stop spinning.

Of course this is just a guess as to why the bearing is making noise. It may not be the clutch at all. Without hearing the noise I really can't say.

ya it releases nearer to the end and im not getting the smoothest starts with it :(

it hasnt been doing the noise for a few days :S if it starts up ill take a video of it and tr to catch the sound.

Are clutches bad to replace on subarus?

Do you have to take out the engine to get to the clutch? I can't see how it would be easy to replace a clutch with the engine still in. Idk. That's why I replaced mine when I did my headgaskets, so I wouldn't have to mess with it later.

I didn't have to remove the engine from my 96 legacy outback to do the clutch, although I'm sure it would have been much easier to do it with the engine out. To separate the engine and the trans. we had to lift the engine from the front and kind of tilt it, but that was it. I used a normal repair manual and went step by step and all went well.

awesome bluegrass

Since ive gotten my car im making a few more mechanical friends who have some tools that want to help me do some work on my car so this might be something we try and do, Im going to grab a fuel filter tonight and I shold be able to change that out fairly easy im sure the filter hasnt been changed in at least 4 years :(

Archived