LegacyGT.com

Looking for speaker advice

ericgu

I just picked up a 2005 GT limited, and it really needs a speaker upgrade. I'd like some advice on component selection, and a weird idea I had.

For the front, I'm thinking of speakers and tweeters in the factory locations. One's I'm considering are:

• Boston Acoustics SC60
  • JL Audio C2-650
  • MB Quart RSI-216

They're all in the same price range. I had some MB quarts in the 328i that the legacy replaced, but I think I'm leaning towards BA's or the JLs.

The rears are a bit harder to figure out. I could put coaxials in the stock locations (BA SC64 or JL C2-650x), but I have that same setup (components up front and coax in the rear) in my outback, and I'm not very excited about the result.

I had a crazy thought that I could put the woofers in the rear doors in the stock location and surface mount the tweeters on the rear deck. More wiring, of course.

I've also been thinking a bit about subs. I'm not looking for the big thump, but I would like some decent bass. My goal would be a 10" sub either in a removable box (so I can take it out if I need the room) or doing the "above the spare tire" version.

I'm also planning on amping it - probably a 5 channel amp.

Any comments on my component choice? Also, would you recommend re-wiring the speakers in the door, or would you just use the stock wiring?

I have the JL VR series and really like the silk dome tweet. Not too harsh. JL had them on closeout for $99 a while back through their dealers. Maybe you can negotiate the same. http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/VR600-CSi/part_number=91091/1451.0.1.1.63547.0.0.0.0?

Separate tweet fits right into the stock location.

Avoid the Quarts. The quality is not there anymore.

You are not going to hear a difference if you rewire the speaker wire to the doors at stock or mod power levels . You could put the tweeters in the rear deck (its been done before) but multiple speaker palcements tend to smear images. Not a big fan of low tweeter placement in the rear doors if you listen front the front seats but I would keep it simple and just do Coax's.

As for speakers, pretty tough choice there. BA notoriously Power hungry, JL has improved but earlier models had holes in frequency response . I had very early generation XR's I didn't gel with but love their products in general. My old MB quart rsb 160's are great and serve 2nd duty as my rear fills . Every mark has pro's and cons but all three you mention should serve you well. Sometimes differences can be negated by proper tweaking (crossover point selection and carefull use of EQ)

i have pvi and rsi (both are 6.5 component), they sounds may slightly too sharp (somwhere btw 4~6k) and bass may little bit too flat to your taste, but i love it because that's what i'm looking for! and oh ~ you also need a 1+" spacer for rsi and they take time to break in (mine took 2~3wks, i drove it 20+mins x2 per day).

Archived